Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,916   Posts: 1,521,815   Online: 1085

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm

Bulk loading film!!!

I´ve searched this site on bulkloading film and found lost of answers, but not all. I´ve three of these at home http://www.freestylephoto.biz/63000-...der?cat_id=701
    and I´m wondering how the emulsionside should go if you know what I mean? I don´t know how the bulkfilm is placed in the box it comes in.

///Anders S

Shooter
    Multi Format
    My bulk loader is a Watson, but the principle should be the same. To load the loader with a new roll, I put the loader and the bulk tin in the changing bag, open the bulk tin, take the roll out of the bag, take the roll drum off the loader, and put the roll into the drum. It can go in in one of two ways, first, with the emulsion side down as the leader comes through into the cassette loading chamber, and second, with the emulsion side up and facing out to you. The first way is correct, the second is disaster. In the cassette loading chamber, there will be a sprocket wheel that meshes with the film perforations, and counts the frames as they go in to the cassette. The emulsion side should be in contact with the sprockets, so the film should face down on to the sprockets. It if's facing up, you need to turn the bulk roll over to the other orientation inside the drum of the loader.

It's a whole lot easier than it sounds!
    Alex

Shooter
    35mm
    Thank you! But none of my Lloyd´s have just a pin in the middle! should there be a kind of spool to wind the film on inside the drum? Many questions but I´m a newbie at this and want it to be right

///Anders S

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The Watson/alden type have a spindle in the middle. You just slip the bulk roll on the spindle. The loader might have an adapter for short rolls. But I can't remember the last time I used one. 50' rolls?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    This is how the inside of my Watson loader looks :

I usually have a spare dud film I use for demonstrations, but I can't find it, so I've cut a strip of paper instead, to represent the bulk reel. The side of the loader has been lifted off to show a spindle, and the bulk reel just sits on this spindle. The film is led through a slot below the red lever and outside. You can just make out the words 'EMULSION SIDE' I wrote on the paper. This emulsion side faces down in to the cassette chamber, which you'll see in the next picture.

Here, you can see the paper (film!) just emerging from the slot and touching a red wheel with teeth. You can't see it but on the left hand side there's a similar wheel with teeth to engage the film perforations, but it's black, so doesn't show in the picture. This is the cassette chamber. You put an empty cassette in here, and attach the emerging film leader to the cassette spool. The cassette goes at the bottom of the picture here where you see the orange piece of plastic, and the crank on the left will engage (when the cover door is closed!) and feed the film in to the cassette.

Here is another view of the loader :

The bulk reel sits as shown, the leader comes through the slot under the red lever and out where the words "Film leader" appear. The non-emulsion side is uppermost, and the emulsion is facing down into the cassette chamber. You can also see the drum cover on the right hand side, and you should see also the cut-out which fits over the strip of film as it leaves the main chamber and into the cassette chamber. That red knob is just the securing knob for the drum cover when it's replaced.

Any more questions, just ask!
    Alex

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The units you've got are substantially different from either the Alden or Watson units. They are dead simple with exactly 3 moving parts, the hinged door, the round screw on cover, and the crank handle. There are no frame counters, sprockets, or anything else to complicate matters. There is nothing to break or wear out. Loading the machine is dead simple too. All bulk film is delivered with the emulsion side IN. Simply unscrew the red door, drop the roll of film (with the center core if it has one) over the spindle, thread the leading edge of the film through the felt light trap, replace the round cover, and screw it down. Everything follows the natural curve of the film. Easy!
    Frank Schifano

Shooter
    Multi Format
    That's worth knowing if my Watson ever breaks. I've seen that model in pictures and ads, but never used it. How do you determine how much film you're loading if there's no counter? I sometimes load short runs of a dozen frames or so as well as the more regular thirty-six.
    Alex

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by fschifano View Post
    ... thread the leading edge of the film through the felt light trap....
    Unless you drop it, unlikely to break. They all can break if you drop them.

The Watson has no "felt light trap" to keep clean, that will scratch your film. They all work and with proper use, work as they should.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I load bulk by holding the bulk roll between my legs in closet in darkness and just twist the takeup spool to load a suitable amount of frames, then cut off the film, insert the roll in casette. Then just start a new one until about 20 rolls are in cassettes. This will take about 10 minutes, just enough oxygen left in the closet...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JukkaWata View Post
    I load bulk by holding the bulk roll between my legs in closet in darkness and just twist the takeup spool to load a suitable amount of frames, then cut off the film, insert the roll in casette. Then just start a new one until about 20 rolls are in cassettes. This will take about 10 minutes, just enough oxygen left in the closet...
    My approach is a bit different. But what we share is bulk loading w/o using a bulk loader.
    John, Mount Vernon, Virginia USA

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin