Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,700   Posts: 1,548,406   Online: 1039

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Shooting E200 at long exposure.

Hello- I am going to go out night shooting this weekend and I was wondering what happens with exposures longer than 10 seconds with E200. Kodak's sheets say to run tests for exposures longer than 10 seconds. I will be heading to Boston to the top of the Marriott to shoot the city.

Patrick
    Helping to save analog photography one exposure at a time

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    No matter what kind of answers you hear here, I'd still bracket around the exposure you select. If you only have time for 2, then do your exposure and another with additional exposure.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'll bracket.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The people I am going with will shoot digital at ISO 100. Should I follow suit so that I can use the same exposures that they do?

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    You could. But digital doesn't have reciprocity failure. So if you are doing 1-2 minute exposures, you'll have to adjust for reciprocity failure and bracket too. Some films are better than others for this. The tungsten films are a bit better. Fuji film is traditionally better too. You also might want to try googling "E200 reciprocity".

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well how bad will the reciprocity show with night shots? What happens? Do the colors change?

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Some films like Velvia 100 have no correction out to a minute or two...

Contrast changes, colors shift, and exposure lessens. The last one is most important to compensate for.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Colors shift as tiberiustibz says is a problem, but the big one is exposure decreases. So you expose for 2 mins, but only get the equivalent of 45 seconds (just an example), so you shot is way underexposed. A good example is Tri-X and Fuji Acros. Even though Tri-X is ISO 400 and Acros is two stops slower, Tri-X has horrible reciprocity characteristics while Acros is great, so for exposures over a certain time (1 min? 30 secs? I don't know) Acros is actually faster.

This failure is repeatable and measurable, so if you find some data on it, and you meter a 2 min exposure, the data will tell you to add such and such exposure (+1/2 stop, or +2, whatever). So you meter 2 mins, and you actually take 3 mins, or 8, or whatever the compensation is.

Fuji film usually has better characteristics. Acros is amazing. Tungsten films are usually pretty good too. The Kodak documents I just scanned don't give much info other than to say up to 10s is fine. It says +1/3 for 64T at 100s. E100G seems to be good out to 120s, but the document wording is vague. This site seems to claim E200 and E100G are great, specifically E200, so maybe you will be fine.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have used long exposures with Elite Chrome 200, and it has turned out fine. However, in general, I would go along the lines of others in this thread: Fuji is your best answer for long exposures. I don't know why, but Fuji's films have always been superior to Kodak's in reciprocity failure. I know that you do not particularly care for Fuji's films, but when taking night shots, especially landscapes, the minutae of different films are less apparent.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I just looked up some data on Fuji slide film. 400x is good out to 1 minute. At 2 mins they recommend +1/2. 4-8 minutes is +1. So if you meter 6 minutes, then actually give it 12.

E200 might be ok though. Ahh, just found this link: reciprocity for Kodak films.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin