Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,707   Posts: 1,548,544   Online: 1119

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well, firstoff, Permanganate reacts directly with the developing agent(s) in any developer to form oxidized developer which would then go on to give overall uniform dye formation. This reduces image discrimination and increases fog. So, that is not a good thing.

Blix can reduce some dyes under certain conditions and form the leuco (colorless) form of the dye. Use of Ferricyanide will often regenerate the dye from the leuco form unless it has decomposed into oxidized developer and coupler.

PE

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I did get better results with the permanganate than without..

That last result was the Agfa bleach mixed with the developer.

When I say clear.. I mean totally see-through with zero image after blixing it.

Well I also have ferricyanide, so I might try a mix with that..

The other idea I was contemplating is just developing it regularly, then bleaching, then developing again, rinse and repeat etc a couple of times to build up the dye.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    As long as the bleach is a ferricyanide-bromide bleach (a rehal bleach) then this might work.

The rehal process has long been known as a way to increase contrast in color products.

PE

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I'll try a ferricyanide mix today and see how I go

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Ferricyanide keeps turning the processing into a disaster, fogged and too thin.

Agfa Bleach and Permanganate are giving me the best combinations.

This was a agfa bleach (20ml) with 25ml of parodinal in 500ml solution, stand for 1 hour, about 40c, thin again.. completely bleached and fixed, saturation is visible straight away.

permanganate gives me balanceable colour... i cant seem to balance the colour using agfa bleach.

going to try one more tonight... 50ml parodinal and permanganate solution.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    permanganate gives me issues with too much of it as well.. might try agfa bleach again but easing off the bleach amount.

as well as ferricyanide, might try a fraction of what i did last time.

also develop->bleach->develop->bleach->develop didnt work, the image was unable to de-develop, so i might try merely developing the silver image without any bleach mixed in, 1+20 would develop it quite fast @ 20c, then fix, wash, then bleach, re-expose and develop again, etc, then with bleach+rexposure I can re-develop it over and over theoreticaly and layer up the dye, or perhaps a process-to-completion may work..

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You cannot just develop->bleach->develop. You must have washes and clearing baths in there to prevent other problems. I do not know what you mean by de-develop. I can guess. If you mean the silver image returns to silver halide, then if it does not, something is wrong with your overall process.

PE

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I meant re-develop, the image didnt re-develop using that method. Typo sorry.

Well yes, but I thought washing would be implied (should be common sense for most).

Anyway the general idea I had was to develop to reasonable silver density with plain aminophenol -> fix to remove undeveloped silver, thorough wash then use the agfa bleach, the re-expose what should only be the negative image left, then re-develop with the aminophenol, bleach, re-expose, and re-develop with the aminophenol again etc, and repeat as many times as I need to layer up the dye, all with good washing between.

Its nearly 3am I just got home from a farewall/graduation party, so will do this after I wake up, or maybe tomorrow instead.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The correct sequence for what you want is this:

Develop
    wash
    fix
    wash
    bleach in rehal bleach (ferricyanide + bromide)
    clear
    wash
    develop
    clear
    wash
    go back to bleach step and repeat loop as often as desired then:
    bleach
    fix
    wash
    or just
    fix
    wash if you wish bleach bypass.

PE

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Sadly I don't think I will be working on this anymore anytime soon. All of this derailed the pace I had been setting all semester with about 30+ 4x5 sheets a week. I just did about 10 last night. Maybe if I have time I'll throw in a Velvia and have a friend develop it for me, but I am more concerned about producing enough work than figuring out this bizarre yet very intriguing experiment.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin