Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,493   Posts: 1,542,999   Online: 790

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Ascorbic Acid and Orange Mask

Some of you may remember a thread I posted on Xtol bleaching out the orange mask in C41 films when used as a first developer to reverse the negative.

Where as Rodinal did not, and left the orange mask intact..

So I just had an idea to do a little test, I took one of the Rodinal colour positives made from Pro 400H, and dunked it in a solution of ascorbic acid (not sodium ascorbate) and sodium hydroxide of decent developing power.

The mask instantly changed colour, it went green.

Going to leave it sitting in there a while to see what happens.

edit: its been in for a a couple of minutes and its now yellow.

edit2: dunked some reala in there that originally used the xtol process already, which i had shown an example of here as well - not much happened to it, i guess because the orange mask has already been affected with xtol.

dunked some E6 sensia in there that was lab processed... the clear base turned yellow, and I only had it in for a few seconds and the layers with the dye in it started rubbing off when i was touching it.

notihng happened to the b&w that i also tried.

oops my mistake - came back and its dissolving the silver off the film (already developed and fixed negative) i can see trails spiralling off the film - might be able to use it as a blix replacement if careful and possibly with hardener? hmm.
    Last edited by Athiril; 10-18-2009 at 08:23 AM. Click to view previous post history.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Did you only test on the mask dyes, or also on the image dyes?

I mean, your original post was on bleaching the mask without affecting the image.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin