Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,219   Posts: 1,532,262   Online: 819

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Images
    Sure is a LOT of hybrid talk here. If you are scanning for output then it does not matter what you use because scanning is the creation of a copy and copies are always inferior to the original. YOMV

I prefer slides, for landscape, for the following reason, I can see the colors in it. I am a little color blind (yes there are degrees) and when I take a photograph I see colors I had no idea were there. The eye doctor says it is because of the compressed nature of the colors (whatever the hell that means)

For people shots I prefer color negative for the true to life flesh tones of Portra NC. It is the only color negative filme I find I like, because of the pallet. No matter which you choose it is a preference. Lots of folks say the fuji color negative films are great, I detest the look. It is a preference.

I love slide shows. Especially when I can sit down with mine or my dad's slides by myself and really "look" at the images. It is fun with the family too. I have yet to see a digitally presented image that is even close to the images presented by a good slide projector. Not a top of the line one, but just a good one.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Quote Originally Posted by mark View Post
    Sure is a LOT of hybrid talk here. If you are scanning for output then it does not matter what you use because scanning is the creation of a copy and copies are always inferior to the original. YOMV
    I've got an advantadge; I've never felt the pain of scanning a slide. Because, I simply don't scan them, and, I don't have a scanner.

Quote Originally Posted by mark View Post
    I love slide shows. Especially when I can sit down with mine or my dad's slides by myself and really "look" at the images. It is fun with the family too. I have yet to see a digitally presented image that is even close to the images presented by a good slide projector. Not a top of the line one, but just a good one.
    I've got to try that. I did project 40 slides, but not really well projected. It's awesome. Like in a cinema, they do the same, but with a bigger screen, a smaller frame, and viewers are farther from the screen.
    When I have a bulky collection of slides, I'll have to buy a projector...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by naugastyle View Post
    I don't personally know anyone who has the patience to sit through a slideshow.
    That's definitely contrary to my experience. Very contrary.

A few weeks ago I went to a slide show by a Nat Geo photographer, Michael Nichols, and he kept the audience of 500 people of all ages at rapt attention for two hours. And that was with a lowish res powerpoint slide show (albeit still a much better-than-average projector). An analogue slide show would have been even mo bettah!

Now, I'm no Nick Nichols but I have also given slideshows several times and gotten plenty of compliments. The experience is very different from viewing a small print.

There is another aspect of slides and slideshows that used to be more important, namely that you can see straight away how a photographer uses the frame and how much he/she can do "in camera" as opposed to post-processing. Any flaws are immediately very obvious. Now, that is still worth something in this day and age, when many images we see are so processed. IMHO people need to relearn how to respect what competent photographers can do without any need for processing.

~~~

Now, this business of considering slide/scan workflow to be =digital is ridiculous to me. I could just as easily say that because c41 users usually scan their negs to show them, they have gone digital. I mean, does anybody make analogue slides from c41 anymore? (What's that, you don't do your slideshows in a purely analogue way, you're going to digihell!) One could equally well accuse everybody who posts to the apug gallery of being pro-digital. How silly :rolleyes: Use whatever tools you want to show your work! The 'showing' is very different from the art and the handcraft of creating the image in the first place.
    Last edited by keithwms; 10-20-2009 at 01:43 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    35mm
    Wow. I honestly can't imagine that. Now, if it were a BOOK of his photos that somehow took 2 hours to wade through...yes . But yes, I agree slides are a great way to see the unaltered photographer's view, skill, and mistakes.

I've only been here a little while and understand the site's anti-hybrid slant, but I think the equating of shooting & scanning C-41 to digital is ridiculous. Besides, in my view it's far more important to take good pictures, which plenty of 100% analog folks don't. OK, make that 99% analog folks, since I have managed to SEE their photos somehow .

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    P.S. One thing that Nick Nichols did, which was very impressive, was to show complete images and then show the cover version with the standard Nat Geo boundary. More often than not, the crop that wound up on the cover was a half frame or smaller... from a 35mm slide! I guess he showed us about a half dozen of his covers. Toward the end of the show he showed digital work (redwood composites) and, unfortunately it was fairly clear to me from the tonality that it was digital-derived, but honestly it was still quite impressive. Perhaps because he came from a film background, he had not lowered his standards... it just had a different feel.

Shooter
    35mm
    Oh, that's really cool...I'm always interested in what changes are made by editors.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by keithwms View Post
    A few weeks ago I went to a slide show by a Nat Geo photographer, Michael Nichols, and he kept the audience of 500 people of all ages at rapt attention for two hours.
    That's great - I could sit through 2 hours of his stuff. I attended one of Gordon Wiltsie's presentations (w/ analog projectors) a few years ago and wasn't bored in the least. And on a smaller scale I also get compliments for my slide shows, and much prefer the format of being able to concentrate everyone's attention on one image at a time than dealing with the constant repetitive explanations that come with passing prints around a roomful of folks with greasy fingers.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    It's a very different experience, right, giving a slide show. Everyone is looking at the same image. People react together, they talk amongst themselves, they ask questions... totally different experience than looking at prints single file or in much smaller groups. I'm not saying it's better or worse, just... very different. The only problem I have is that after seeing a projected slide, it is almost impossible to deliver a print that has as much impact. It can be almost be done but not quite.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by keithwms View Post
    I mean, does anybody make analogue slides from c41 anymore? (What's that, you don't do your slideshows in a purely analogue way, you're going to digihell!)
    Nobody makes analog slides from C41 anymore (at least that I know of). I think even Dales stopped doing this around last July. Then again, this never gave good results in the first place (compared to actual reversal slides). So I don't think there are alot of tears being shed over the loss of this process.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    For color I still shoot slides ONLY and I love to project. I wouldn't give it up for anything. I love black and white and I LOVE darkroom but I really like slides too. I just ordered some Efke Positive paper to try out. Should be interesting. Printing my color slides in black and white myself.
    Helping to save analog photography one exposure at a time

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin