Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,770   Posts: 1,516,518   Online: 771

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

My color film dilemma (rant).

I started shooting back in the mid 70's. You know the drill, take a High School photo course, and become immediately addicted. Back then, it was all Tri-X and Kodachrome 25 & 64 for me. Up until about five years ago, whenever I needed color snaps, I always grabbed a slide film. Keep in mind that color negative films of the 60' 70's and early 80's, were pretty crappy. And I never liked the Ektachromes that were so popular back then. I still have those beautiful Kodachrome slides from days gone by, and they still look fabulous.

Now, heres my quandary; today's modern color neg films are so good, easy, fast to develop and scan, that I find myself rarely burning slide film anymore. Heck, I have 10x16" inch and larger prints form modern 400 & 800 speed color neg films that look great. Wonderful color, fine grain, etc. And those are from higher speed color neg films! For commercial shooting, I can burn a few rolls of color negative film, drop it off for souping, scanning, and have it on-line for the clients perusal within an hour or so.

Does anyone still use slide projectors? I guess I just feel somewhat gulity for pretty much abandoning the fantastic slide films of today...

Kiron Kid
    "A photograph that mirrors reality, cannot compare to one that reflects the spirit"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    For color film I prefer slides, kodachrome and Provia 100 then I project the slides in a leica Pradovit.
    Regards
    Matias

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Have to agree about the Ektachrome I never really liked the colours like many others in Europe I switched to Fujichrome back in the E4 days because the colours were just so much better for my work.

I really liked Kodachrome 25 but it was just too slow, film speed & process time, also not available in sheet film sizes, and in comparison I always found K64 a dreadful, insipid film.

I do have a slide projector, and I still use it occasionally, but for other reasons switched to C41 for virtually all my personal colour work about 20 years ago. although I kept using E6 for commercial work until about 7-8 years ago, stopping when clients wanted a different format/medium.

Ian

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiron Kid View Post
    I guess I just feel somewhat guilty for pretty much abandoning the fantastic slide films of today...
    That's the difference between us. I abandoned tranny films and don't feel even slightly guilty.

I've been shooting negative film exclusively for nearly a decade now and see no reason to use tranny film at all.
    Bruce Watson
    AchromaticArts.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Does anyone still use slide projectors?
    Yeah for the old stuff.

I guess I just feel somewhat gulity for pretty much abandoning the fantastic slide films of today...
    No guilt here.
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Guilt is definitely not the right reason to stay with a product. Just use whatever makes you more productive.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    35mm
    I've been abandoned slide film since the mid 80's. Recently I shot a few slide films. My favorite is Kodachrome but I guess I have to find something else for now. I still use and have 2 Ektagraphic projectors and lenses from 50mm to 300mm.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There is no reason to feel "guilty" about not using slide films. Today's C-41 emulsions are being constantly improved, and have much greater latitude than slides. Although I personally use slide film, I do not harbor any resentment over those that use negative film, nor do I regret not using negative film.

Goose Nest (near Martinsburg), West Virginia
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    I've been shooting B&W negatives for a long time, and recently decided to try to understand more about color.

As an experiment, I ordered a few rolls of most of the color neg film out there (at least in 120, which is my primary format), both for landscapes and portraits. Ultimately I found two truths, for me: first, I just didn't like the colors of any of them. They were okay, but just didn't move me as much as a great B&W film. The "neutral" films (Kodak Portra NC, Fuji 160C/400H/Reala) were boring, and the saturated versions of those films were, well, too saturated. (Fuji 800Z was okay, but still not quite right.)

Second, I had a bear of a time scanning! I know, neg film should be easier to scan, not harder, but every time I looked at the shadows, I just hated the grit in there. Not the same sort of thing as B&W grain, at all. Perhaps I need to expose color neg film more, but I used the same technique I've used for years with B&W, where my exposures tend to be just about right. (And I'm using an Imacon Photo, an excellent film scanner, so it's definitely not my gear.)

I should also point out that my ability to color-correct, well, sucks. When I see the image the scanner's made for me of the color neg, I can see that it's wrong (and often is), but I have a really difficult time figuring out how to "fix" the colors. I can see they're not right, but something about the workflow just doesn't sit well with me & my brain.

Recently I tried Fuji slide film, specifically Provia 400X. I totally love it! If I expose it correctly, the grain is aesthetically pleasing (or just not there at all), and the colors are just muted enough without being boring or bizarre. Scans were much easier and more right-on out of the scanner than the color negatives. (The Imacon has a great dynamic range, which probably makes it more suitable for transparencies than some lower-end scanners.)

So, my reason for using slide film isn't about projection at all, but about the "feel" of the colors, ease of scanning, and the more accurate rendition.

Granted, slide film isn't for everything. I still plan to shoot a lot of Neopan 400 in my rangefinder, and Acros and other slower-speed films on my Mamiya. I've got a Fuji S5 DSLR for low-light color and quick-turnaround jobs. But the Provia has a real place in my toolbox.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I do find slides much easier to scan than negatives. I scanned quite a few negatives but find slide film is just easier to get right.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin