Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,670   Posts: 1,481,794   Online: 1077

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks for all the input. I think my "argument" is settled. A photographer I was talking to yesterday spoke of having shot 4x5 Kodachrome transparencies in the 1970s. As near as I can tell from the info here, that would have been impossible.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Hey check this archive out, tons of 4x5 kodachrome

http://www.shorpy.com/4x5-large-format-kodachromes

Amazing to see the world back then in such vivid color when we typically associate (in our minds) that time period in muted colors or in grainy documentary B/W.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by nyoung View Post
    Thanks for all the input. I think my "argument" is settled. A photographer I was talking to yesterday spoke of having shot 4x5 Kodachrome transparencies in the 1970s. As near as I can tell from the info here, that would have been impossible.
    Unless Kodak were doing a field trial to check out the re-introduction of Kodachrome sheet. Not impossible, there was a field trial by at least one lab in the UK maybe 10 years ago of a Kodak colour RA4 paper on fibre-base, (which was not adopted, needless to say.)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    --------------------
    "Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it." -Paul Strand

www.glasskeyphoto.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Larger than life...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A companion product, Kotavachrome, was offered in sheet form to make prints. It also came in rolls. Kotavachrome was the Kodachrome product coated on a white plastic base which gave the customer the possibility of having prints made from their slides. It had a very distinct appearance being on white plastic and having the Kodachrome relief image on the surface. It was glossy with an attitude.

Kotavachrome was never sold outside of Kodak, but many of the empty boxes were recycled inside the plant for other purposes and I have seen them sitting around on shelves being used for storage. I had one and seem to have thrown it out, and now only have a Kodachrome 5x7 box in my collection.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have some of those Kotavachrome prints...they are amazing! All of the ones I have are dated between 1955-1956, do you know how long it was made? Talk about glossy!
    --------------------
    "Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it." -Paul Strand

www.glasskeyphoto.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have no idea, but prints were available from 35mm early on and it was discontinued with the concent decree. Kodak had to sell materials without process included and they were no longer able to maintain a chain of photo stores.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

1946 Kodachrome data

I have a copy of Henry M. Lester's Photo-Lab-Index. Section 16 is Color Data.
    Pages 16-4 through 16-10 have quite a lot of data on Kodachrome. Kodachrome and Kodachrome Type A were from "8mm and 16mm motion-picture films; 35mm and Bantam (828) rolls for miniature still cameras."

Kodachrome Professional Color Safety Film, Daylight Type and Kodachrome Professional Color Safety Film, Type B were available in "Sheet film in all standard sizes up to 11x14".

There is tons of information in this book. I hate to photocopy this and post all of this since it is copyrighted.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin Reed View Post
    Unless Kodak were doing a field trial to check out the re-introduction of Kodachrome sheet. Not impossible, there was a field trial by at least one lab in the UK maybe 10 years ago of a Kodak colour RA4 paper on fibre-base, (which was not adopted, needless to say.)
    That's a shame IMO, Martin - FB would give a new dimension to colour printing. I have many old colour FB prints in the family archives and I think they're much nicer than plastic prints of today. Washing prints would've been a real chore though :-) All IMO, of course.

PE, the Kotavachrome you mentioned would have been interesting too, but I think Kodachrome's tendency to fade in sunlight would have been a real liability unless it was dealt with. Again, all IMO.
    testing...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin