Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,986   Posts: 1,524,003   Online: 882

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format

Looking for options in the aftermath of the demise of Kodak Supra Endura....

I suppose I should have seen it coming but nonetheless, losing Supra Endura is devastating news. A large portion of my income is in printing for other photographers - about half b/w and half color. All of my color clients prefer Supra Endura. I only use Ultra on that rare occasion when a neg. is grossly underexposed. Now that it's gone, what's left? Looking at the fuji website it shows crystal archive professional paper super type C to be available in rolls of numerous widths from 4" to 60". No mention of sheet size availability. Am I right in thinking that all that's left for the optical user is Kodak ultra in sheets and rolls and fuji ca type C in rolls? (Mr. Carnie, hoping you'll chime in here)...

Shooter
    Medium Format

Ultra in Sheets?

I've been a happy Supra Endura user for the past year and a half (the length of time I've been printing color), so this is unhappy news. I'm not sure there is any readily available Kodak alternative.

Is Ultra available in sheet sizes in the U.S.? Where? All I've seen in the past at the usual places (B&H, Calumet, Freestyle) is Supra.

--Ben

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Yikes! I was not aware of the discontinuance until this thread. This is not good news regarding optical printing. From Kodak tech publication E-4021:

Product Discontinuance
    KODAK PROFESSIONAL SUPRA ENDURA Paper will be
    discontinued by year end 2009 or when stock is depleted. KODAK
    PROFESSIONAL SUPRA ENDURA VC Digital Paper is the
    alternative replacement. KODAK PROFESSIONAL PORTRA
    ENDURA Paper was discontinued in late 2006.

The following is from the Kodak product information webpage on the replacement paper (Also in Kodak tech publication E-4042):

SUPRA ENDURA VC Digital Paper:

What are the key features of KODAK PROFESSIONAL SUPRA ENDURA VC Digital Paper?

* Designed for pro labs using both internal and external color-managed digital exposure systems

Can I use SUPRA ENDURA VC Digital Paper for optical printing?
    Yes. When exposed optically the image will be high in contrast. If balanced on flesh tones, the neutrals will appear cyan.

What sizes and surfaces are offered?
    SUPRA ENDURA VC Digital Paper is available in a variety of roll sizes in E (lustre), F (glossy), N (matt) and Y (silk) surfaces. Availability of specific size and surface combinations varies by region. Contact your paper supplier for availability.

Sheet format is not available.

Joe

Shooter
    Large Format
    Just got off the phone with Peter at Kodak Professional (1-800-242-2424 ext. 19). He confirmed that Supra Endura in all sizes, sheets and rolls, is currently scheduled to "transition" to the new digital stuff. I also got him to admit that kodak's use of the word "transition" is a euphemism for "phase-out" (does this ring a bell? Remember all the folks here who were in denial when Portra was in the dark limbo of "transition"?). I mentioned that many fine art photographers are dependent on this paper. Two friends of mine have shows up right now in prominent nyc galleries and they are currently unable to print the remainder of their editions. Equally effected will be the teachers and students (of which there are many) who use these materials in college color photography courses. Peter was sympathetic. Told me that each call he gets regarding this has an impact on executive decision making. So, in the interest of keeping the last full gamut, normal contrast paper alive call the number above or email....kprotraditional@kodak.com. Perhaps it's a bit quixotic of me but please, act now...I don't think it's an overstatement to say that Supra Endura is as integral a part of the traditionalist's craft as is Tri-x!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Oh yeah, Ultra is no longer available in sheets... If Kodak can only produce in rolls that's no problem as I can set up a repackaging service for sheets. Would not consider this for Ultra but definitely for Supra..

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by frotog View Post
    Oh yeah, Ultra is no longer available in sheets... If Kodak can only produce in rolls that's no problem as I can set up a repackaging service for sheets. Would not consider this for Ultra but definitely for Supra..
    What would your cost be on a box of 100 8x10's ?

Otherwise I wouldn't start a repackaging business. I started a thread asking if people were interested and I've had no replies so I'm guessing that everyone has already figured out a contingency plan when sheet paper is no longer available.
    Darkroom Equipment : 2X Beseler 23C Color Enlargers, Jobo ATL-1, Jobo CPE-2 Plus and Kreonite ProMate 16" Roller Transport Processor

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Davis View Post
    I could shoot digital and email the image to a lab and get a digital C-print. But I want to shoot and print in my darkroom. I was born in the wrong century.

Shooter
    Large Format
    My guess is that people do not have a contingency plan and no one is really thinking that way as long as it's still out there. Just wait until it is gone completely. As for cutting and repackaging...although I have a meteor-seigen automatic roll paper cutter I would never undertake this task myself. Instead I'd have a friend who runs a photographic material handling co. set this up with Kodak or with pre-orders placed on a website devoted to this purpose. I'm not interested in making money off of this, just wanting to facilitate the consumption of the paper so that if Kodak changes their mind the marketplace will be fluid and less likely to dry up.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I was thinking about getting into color printing too. Damn. I guess that not enough people used enough of it in sheet form?
    Helping to save analog photography one exposure at a time

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    We all need to go crazy with calls, e-mails and letters to Kodak to show them that there is still a market for it. Unlike Kodachrome, it's not like there is only one place in the world to offer it so maybe there is some hope. They listened with the Ekar 100 in 120.....This is great stuff. I have had quite a bit printed on it for me.
    Helping to save analog photography one exposure at a time

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I just bought $300 worth of paper to freeze. It took me a year to figure out how to do this well and the first thing they do is can my paper.

Is it possible to use these papers but light the enlarger with a strobe light to achieve the short exposure times needed to get correct alignment of all the color and contrast curves?

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin