Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,909   Posts: 1,556,148   Online: 1088

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    These guys are using diffused flash fill. There's no way you can get such good exposure of your subject matter without it when the subject is backlit by the sun.

If you have a TTL flash meter, try this. With a handheld meter, take an incident reading at the box film speed (160 for Portra VC). Set your exposure to that on the lens. Then set the TTL meter to double the box speed (320). Then stop down the lens 1/2 stop. Take the picture.

He's all digital now, but when Denis Reggie used Hasselblads, that's how he did it.
    Last edited by c6h6o3; 10-21-2009 at 10:34 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    "...we play games at weddings guessing exposures..."

You're a braver man than I, sir.

Stellar work, and thanks for the detailed explanations...a good read.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Jonathan, I am the OP here on the thread....

Thank you very much for your joining and and sharing. Helps a lot! Also, a VERY welcome to you from APUG.
    (By the way, you state: 'Film is a magical thing people, you should try it' ... That's all we do here.

I have watched your website, your blog and listened to your Analog Photo Radio interview for a reason, I really like your art.
    Now with a 13year old growing up fast, your art is something I want to, not copy, but understand and put my own flavor on. You've helped a great deal, thank you.
    I wrote you the other day and suggested you may think about about a workshop in NYC/NJ area. Lot's of wedding photographers.
    I hope you stick around, this is a great group of people.
    Thanks again.
    Tom

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Jonathan,
    P.S. you have a wonderful looking family and it says a lot about the man they way he talks about his family and the way he teachers others.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by c6h6o3 View Post
    These guys are using diffused flash fill. There's no way you can get such good exposure of your subject matter without it when the subject is backlit by the sun.
    NO. I. AM. NOT. USING. FILL. FLASH. OR. ANY. KIND. OF. FLASH.

clear?

I NEVER use a flash on a Contax (well, I take that back, I used it on this shoot http://jonathan.instaproofs.com/coll...p?event=164360). but for my wedding/portrait work, I am not using a flash. ever, no never.

I just think it is hilarious how difficult you think it is. It is SO SIMPLE. Put your subject heavily backlit, meter for the shadows, make sure you have no lens flare, SHOOT FILM on the Contax. done.

and I am telling you right now, YES there is a way to get such great exposures shooting back lit and without having to chimp or bracket. it happens almost daily around here .

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by dwdmguy View Post
    J
    (By the way, you state: 'Film is a magical thing people, you should try it' ... That's all we do here.

Tom
    HA! i had no idea what this place was. i just got a HUGE amount of traffic from this site and joined so i could see what all the fuss what about from what to me was the WORST family session i've EVER shot . (kids melting down left and right, an additional family showing up unannounced)

but now that i know this is a film forum, let me say this. A LOT of my look has to do with the fact that it is scanned on a fuji frontier. not a NORITSU. there are 2 machines you'll find these days at all major labs. the frontier and the noritsu. labs LOVE the Noritsu for several reasons:

1. it bulk loads 220 instead of having to scan frame by frame
    2. way larger files = charging more for larger files
    3. digital ice = no post for them and fast workflow and more people in the door

HOWEVER

in my opinion even though those things sound great and all you are sacraficing:

1. detail in highlights and shadows
    2. distinct fuji color palette

and those 2 things are what are responsible for my and jose's look. it is the FRONTIER. i love that scanner. i own freaking 2 of them . i even seen scans from their machine with the digital ice and it is not the same. the sp2500 is their mother ship. the color is phenomenal. so i guess, that is my "actions", or my "post production" to get my look. having everything scanned on a frontier.

though i will say, true bw film looks WAY better on a noritsu.

but if you scan a holga cross processed image on a noritsu? its HORRIBLE.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jonathan canlas View Post
    NO. I. AM. NOT. USING. FILL. FLASH. OR. ANY. KIND. OF. FLASH.
    clear?
    Jonathan, I've leaned long ago not to take too much of what is said on forums to heart, you'll live longer. that said, there is an amazing group of people here, it's just that some peeps have to argue as they have too much time on their hands.
    I hope you hang out. It would be good for us and there some amazing people here so it will be good for you. I've been taking a lot from these guys and hope to give back a lot soon.

You have two Frontier scanners? May I have one?
    Best to you and yours.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    also, during the summer when it gets uber busy, i use a lab in LA called Richard Photo Lab to scan my stuff. they are seriously, the best lab on the planet.

http://www.richardphotolab.com

their scans are better than mine, i'll say that .

i just shot the owner's wedding which i just put on my proofing site.

1300 images edited down to 750

http://jonathan.instaproofs.com/coll...p?event=126147

if anyone is looking for great frontier scans, they are seriously the best.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I've used them and they are indeed the best lab on the planet with one execption. My darkroom.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    One more thing, I'm learning from J.C. not from his processing and "settings" but from his "eye" as well.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin