Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,940   Posts: 1,557,448   Online: 833

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format

how does he get this look?

Hi, I happen to love the look of wedding and all around photographer of this gent as well as Jose Villa. Both 100 pct film photographers.

I've been trying for months to get this look. Using such as 400H and 800z Fuji films with over exp. a stop or so. (I listen to their Analog Radio interviews with Scott)

Does anyone have any suggestion.
    I understand there is no PS work here.
    Tom

Shooter
    Medium Format

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Have you tried Portra 160VC overexposed? Maybe....?
    Helping to save analog photography one exposure at a time

Shooter
    Medium Format
    No I've not. But his interviews state the above films. What do you think?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Looks rather lensbabyish to me. That is probably giving the lower contrast, in addition to the selective focus effects. Filmwise, I'd say that just about any of the standard non-vivid films shot at box speed and normal average metering can give this pallete. I mean, not ektar, and not 160 C or VC etc...

Recently I was playing with pro h and pro z at an evening dinner party, using a 645 afd. Here is a fairly representative shot; I don't remember whether it was pro h or pro z, I can check later. Anyway, rating either at box speed and developing normally gives me what i consider to be nice, subtle colours.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Medium Format
    It does look a bit "lensbabyish"
    Very nice photos Keith, I'd be interested in knowing. I use the 800z quite a bit and don't get that.
    This guy uses a Contax 645 a lot and I don't think they make a lensbaby for that.
    Thank you.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Oh you can put a lensbaby on anything now!

What are you getting from 800z? When shootign it at box speed and developing for 800, this is what I get. If I want more primary colours / saturation then I rate it at 800 and dev for 1600, or if I need the speed, I rate it at 1600 and dev for 3200. The latter works quite well too, here is an example in really difficult mixed lighting.

Far as I am concerned 800z is the bomb! In medium format, at least.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    with all due respect keith ( and I mean that ), I don't think the shot you posted is really like of the shots the OP posted. I think the photographer the OP posted is over exposing a VC film. Just a personal observation. I like your photo though, way good tones.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    This is what I get but perhaps he is shotting directly into the sun. And this was a nasty day so I'm sure I did not over exp.

800z is no doubt my fav color neg.
    When it looked like they were going to discontinue it, I cried...

Thank you much.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Put_in_Bay.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rphenning View Post
    with all due respect keith ( and I mean that ), I don't think the shot you posted is really like of the shots the OP posted. I think the photographer the OP posted is over exposing a VC film. Just a personal observation. I like your photo though, way good tones.
    Oh okay, and thanks I was seeing fairly pastel tones and low contrast, but I admit that I am sitting at a crappy uncalibrated monitor so maybe I am not seeing what you guys are seeing Anyway it all looks pretty run of the mill to me, just with some lensbabyish effects and almost certainly a bit of postprocessing (but I am not 100% sure of that)

Anyway, if it's an issue of exposure then dwdmguy can simply bracket and pick what he likes.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin