Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,697   Posts: 1,482,547   Online: 892

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Just now getting back to photography after a 10 year hiatus. Can someone recommend a sharp, fine grain, rich-saturating color (tad on the warm side), negative 120 film for use with landscaping and architectural photography? Whatever happened to Extar 25? remember that one?
    Thanks,
    Viva Italia

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Konica Impressia 50 is an interesting film. Sometimes I like it and sometimes I don't, but it tends to be saturated and warm, at least in my experience.
    Scott Stadler

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Unfortunately, Ektar 25 is out of production since you stoped photography. Give Fuji NPC for Architecture and Reala (or NPS) for Landscape a try.

for bolder color and very fine grain, with good skintones, Kodak Portra 400 UC (not VC or NC) is the one to beat. Same grain as a 160 speed film.

Thilo,
    How would you distinguish/characterize architectue photography from landscape photography, and the corresponding film you are recommending? Before I store my Bronica in the closet about 10 years ago, I fell in love with Fuji's Reala, but I have not been getting rave recommendations about Reala.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I do all my colour photography (landscapes only) on Reala, and I absolutely love the film!

Anne Marieke

Images
    Film choice is very personal. Personally I would not use negative film for anything, but that is just me. I had the same problem as you but wanted a slide film. I got one roll of each I thought met my preference and shot them side by side (the benefit of changeable film backs) and found the one I love. Provia 100F! In negative films I think Reala is bland but that is only one person's opinion, Ann feels different. You can always warm something up by using an 81A filter.

When it comes to film choice, I definately listen to what others say then form my own opinion.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Anne,
    I am a portrait person by trade and found reala with a little more kick than VPS (back then) and exceptionally finer grain than VPS. Could you share in details why you love Reala for landscapes (only)? What qualities of reala do you love versus others?

Mark,
    What about Provia 100F is it that you like? and for which applications? Also, why do you say you would not use negative film for anything?

Thanks for all your insights.......it's a little distressing to get back into photography and find out all these new films that have surfaced and the digital world making a wave, and the lost of my beloved Ektar.......sigh....

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    The main reason why I use Reala is that the colours are very natural. The reason why I wrote "(only)" is that I only do landscape photograhy/details in nature, so Reala is my only colour film at the moment.

Talking of Ektar: for a long time Ektar was still produced, but under the new name "Royal Gold". But I'm not sure it still exists. I used to be a big fan of Ektar 25....

Anne Marieke

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Anne, I recall that you are correct about the "Royal Gold" and Ektar, but alas it is gone (at least hear in the states) so when I do use color film it is Reala as well. I just like the colors better than any of the Kodak offers AND I am partial to Fuji slide film as well.

As stated earlier, it's a personal thing.
    Mike C

Rambles

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin