Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,285   Posts: 1,535,067   Online: 1099

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Miller
    I don’t think that Kodak ever aimed Ektar 25 at the mass market, but they did target the amateur and professionals.
    Dave,
    I think it was the same case as with Kodachrome 25. Of course have both films been amateur and professional products, but a considerable amount was shot by consumers with higher quality claims. These films have been standard films in the past. But they became special purpose films in the end - for amateurs and pros as well. However, this does not necessarily imply a discontinuation. I believe the problem is that Kodak always wanted to be a mass producer.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I used to feel that Kodachrome 25 was the only color film I really liked, but then I realized as I moved up in format, other films that I didn't particularly like in 35mm became more attractive. ISO 25 films often require a tripod and aren't usually fast enough for subjects like wildlife requiring very long lenses that are only practical with 35mm, so in situations where I might be able to use such a film, there's no downside to using a bigger camera.

If you want fine grain, rich tonality, and high resolution in a color negative film, consider moving up to 6x7, and a film like Portra 160NC in medium format will end your nostalgia for Ektar 25.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Portra 160NC is my current favorite in 120 roll and LF. My head to head comparisons between 120 Fuji Reala and Portra give a definite edge to the Portra 160NC . However, in 120 roll, Konica Impressa 50 is still sharper and finer grained (but very unforgiving).
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Sinned and was sent to Memphis, TN as punishment.
    Shooter
    35mm

Farewell, Sweet 25

Quote Originally Posted by Thilo Schmid
    In our context, of course. But obviously, we do not count - as Maket Force
    I, too, miss Ektar 25. Yes, it was primarily only good for outdoor shots in good sun, but man! what results you could get. I shot my first roll of it in the Grand Canyon and enlarged a shot for my father (who was a teacher at the time) to 20x30" and I am willing to swear that I saw no difference in the grain between that and a 3x5. It was just as clear and crisp, and full of color!

Kodak has a reputation (I would say) of coming out with outstanding products and then dumping them just when you get used to them, because Kodak was after the almighty $ and let the customer fend for themselves. As Thilo said...
    I believe the problem is that Kodak always wanted to be a mass producer.
    I've seen this happen time and again. I've been a loyal Kodak customer ever since I was a tiny tot with my first camera (a Kodak -126, I believe) and I finally went digital this past year. And not with a Kodak camera.

Oh, I still keep a couple of 35s around, for weddings and such, but mostly I shoot digital now.
    Last edited by claidheamdanns; 01-06-2005 at 02:33 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Wanted to include Thilo's quote
    [COLOR=Sienna][FONT=Garamond]Gavin Anderson[/FONT][/COLOR]
    [FONT=Arial][SIZE=1]Graphic Designer & Photographer[/FONT][/SIZE]

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Hoskinson
    Portra 160NC is my current favorite in 120 roll and LF.
    Great in 35 mm, too.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Since Ektar 25 and now Impressa 50 are now long gone, the next best thing are the new Pro 160 films from Fuji. Apparently the grain is RMS 3 for those which should come close to, if not beat, Ektar 25 in that area. Sharpness is still not quite as good though.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Sure, Fuji Velvia. 50 or 100
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    FYI. Ektar 25 was the most difficult film Kodak ever manufactured.

That led to its early demise.

PE

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer
    FYI. Ektar 25 was the most difficult film Kodak ever manufactured.
    In what way? Just curious.....
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ektar 25 had one outstanding thing, it's ability for low light photography. It's reciprocity for long times without compensation was fantastic.

I did many a night shot with that film.

Mick.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin