Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,002   Posts: 1,524,459   Online: 1043

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by roteague
    In what way? Just curious.....
    The chemistry necessary for the extremely fine grain image was difficult to control and coat and get uniform results from batch to batch. It also varied in keeping characteristics even when refrigerated or frozen.

Even now, you can get some that has kept well, and some that appears to have very high grain due to a unique keeping problem related to this manufacturing problem. So, buyer beware. Some old Ektar 25 may be good and some may be bad.

The stuff that goes bad, is VERY bad.

PE

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Thanks PE. I am not familiar with the Ektar 25 other than a general awareness of its existence. I used to be an Ektachrome shooter, but now shoot exclusively Velvia.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Besides grain and reciprocity, Ektar was subtly different than most films. It (and PRN) had a different palette than the Portra line (VC and especially NC are more like VPS) it was more 'plastic' and had great (to my eye) contrast. It was a great film. For me the closest thing I have found (with regard to colour and sharpness) might be Reala rated at iso 50.

I used a few rolls 20+ years ago. It was simply wonderfull. Then I started doing my own neg processing with Unicolor K2. The results were high color saturation and contrast. Little did I know Unicolor changed K2 from when it was previously used. I thought it was the film changed to accomodate the trendy high saturation look of the time.

Too bad I made a wrong call otherwise I would have a freezer full of Ektar 25. Sorry Kodak.

Grain was really fine. I had a hard time using a grain magnifier. The colors were normal saturation and contrast.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin