Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,224   Posts: 1,532,583   Online: 983

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Anyone know of a comprable replacement to Ektar 25?

gma
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yeah, I have wondered about that myself. I used one 35mm roll and never saw it for sale again. That must have been twelve years ago. It had really fine grain and rich color saturation. I suspect that it was dropped due to the slow speed. I had used Kodachrome II for so long it seemed fine to me - f/8 at 1/100 sec in full sun. I think most consumers thinkthey need a film speed of 200 or 400.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    LOL, there was a guy at the LF conference that asked the same thing of the kodak rep. He even ahd an unopened box of the film to show the rep. It was dropped due to lack of sales. No one seemed to be buying it.
    Non Digital Diva

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Regarding an Ektar 25 replacement: IMO Konica Impressa 50 is currently the sharpest negative color film and has the finest grain. I rate it at EI 25. As far as I know, it is available only in 35mm and 120 roll. It is a low contrast film and some processing labs don't have its printing profile.
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The market for 35mm film was and is still dominated by consumers, i.e. millions of snapshot photographers. Ektar 25 was one of the first victims of the super-hyper-zoom boom. Consumers bought camera models and lenses with huge focal range and poor speed. To compensate this, they started buying 200 and 400 ASA Films. So they don't think they need it - they actually require higher speeds.
    The second point is, that one usually does not see any film differences on a 4x6" print.

gma
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thilo,
    You are certainly correct about the 4x6 prints. I have been using Walgreen's house brand 35mm ISO 100 color print film ( made in Germany by Agfa). It has rich, saturated color and fine grain. In a 4x6 print I really cannot see any difference compared to Ektar 25 and it is two stops faster.
    [FONT=Century Gothic][/FONT][SIZE=7][/SIZE][COLOR=DarkOrange][/COLOR] I may be getting older, but I refuse to grow up!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Since the thread topic is Ektar 25, I assumed fine grain, high resolution and ultimately, high enlargement capability was the goal. Apparently that is not the case.
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

I can't imagine marketing engineers or product managers at Kodak didn't know that a slow speed film with extremely fine grain appeals to the professional and semi-professional photographers who were looking to enlarge photographs larger than 8 x 10. To market the product towards snapshot shooters does not make sense for Ektar. Idiots in high power.....

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I don’t think that Kodak ever aimed Ektar 25 at the mass market, but they did target the amateur and professionals. I used it a lot, it was good for big enlargements, I think it was marketed in England as Royal 25 or some such name, however the market was small and it was soon dropped. On the increasingly rare occasions that I shoot colour, I now use Fuji Reala, a 100 ISO film with reasonable grain and good colour rendition
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Hoskinson
    Since the thread topic is Ektar 25, I assumed fine grain, high resolution and ultimately, high enlargement capability was the goal. Apparently that is not the case.
    In our context, of course. But obviously, we do not count - as Maket Force

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin