Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,566   Posts: 1,545,415   Online: 1027

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Quote Originally Posted by ajuk View Post
    I'm not entirely convinced that Sensia is consumer Astia, I find had much more of a magenta shift when cross processed.
    As far I have heard there were/are 3 different versions of Sensia.
    Sensia- Provia 100 consumer version
    Sensia II- Astia 100 consumer version
    Sensia (new)- Provia 100F consumer version.

Whether the newer is Provia or Astia, no Idea. I haven't tried both films.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ektachrome 64T filtered for daylight may be the best option...I am quite partial to E100G.
    Helping to save analog photography one exposure at a time

Shooter
    35mm Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by ajuk View Post
    I'm not entirely convinced that Sensia is consumer Astia, I find had much more of a magenta shift when cross processed.
    This is exactlye what "consumer version" used to mean - it was not as carefully stored as the pro version and had no "warranty" for minor color shifts.
    The same has happened at least with the two Kodachrome versions (KR, KRP) - the pro version was kept better, while the normal or amateur version was greenish to not turn magenta so badly (or fast). [Not exactly sure about which way the colors were, as this is hearsay anyway...]

Quote Originally Posted by Prest_400 View Post
    As far I have heard there were/are 3 different versions of Sensia.
    Sensia- Provia 100 consumer version
    Sensia II- Astia 100 consumer version
    Sensia (new)- Provia 100F consumer version.

Whether the newer is Provia or Astia, no Idea. I haven't tried both films.
    I have heard the two first lines and AFAIK that is correct. Dont know about the "new" one.

Nowadays Fuji itself states different RMS granularity values for Astia 100F (7), Provia 100F (8) and Sensia 100 (10). So I guess it is a different film. Of course it could still be same as old Astia or Provia (without the F) or something like that. The RMS was same for those old versions. I believe this change happened in 2003, at the same time the Astia 100F was introduced.

Here you can see info on the emulsion codes and RMS values summarized (at least for both 100F films and current Sensia 100 they are the same as Fuji states on the data sheets): http://www.cacreeks.com/films.htm

I still used to think Sensia would be Astia, but I guess its not, at least not exactly same as the 100F version of Astia.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well, at least Sensia 100 is completely different from Provia 100F. Just shoot them and you'll notice that Sensia 100 has greater latitude, particularly in highlights, and neutral, not so vivid colors but not dull either. This is just like Astia. Provia looks different.

Emulsion codes also suggest Sensia being a sibling to Astia; Astia is RAP and Sensia RA. On the other hand, Provia is RPP and Velvia RVP. The third P is probably for "professional" .

Shooter
    35mm Pan
    True... It made me think it could be the same emulsion as the old Astia 100 (without F), as it was coded RAP and the 100F version is RAPF. Sensia 100 used to be coded RD (Provia is/was RDP) back in mid 90's and I also have a finnish photo magazine from -96 with a slide film test, saying Provia 100 has exactly same granularity and colors as Sensia 100. So it would make perfect sense that the current Sensia is same base as the old Astia, given that the RMS for Astia 100 is also 10.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kompressor View Post
    ...and what reason might that be?
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 2F/2F View Post
    ...and what reason might that be?
    Good question, because that image is a results of much creative lighting and post-processing and can be achieved with almost any film .

http://sorsa-tv.ath.cx/~antalh/why_i..._sensia100.jpg
    Here's the biggest reason why I like Sensia100 or Astia100: its latitude. When scanned, you can adjust curves to find details from highlights that seem quite blown out, and shadows are good as well. And, projecting the slides in a dark room will reveal this shadow detail even without any painful digital processing .

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by hrst View Post
    Good question, because that image is a results of much creative lighting and post-processing and can be achieved with almost any film .

LOL the creativity around lighting was a asmal umbrella. Retouch/post-prod is dustspotting and colorbalancing, small dodge and burnt. Thats it. But the film gives me low contrast, larger dynamic range than other slide films. Finer structure.

Here is another example. Lighted with more than one lamp
    http://static.photo.net/attachments/...F-89839584.jpg

Also this tread is an Photo.net Astia tread:

http://photo.net/film-and-processing-forum/00RXE6

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by coigach View Post
    I don't use much colour film but am looking to use some low-saturated slide film for a project.

I've used Portra NC neg film and liked the muted colours and soft palate. Is Astia 100F or Kodak E100G the nearest to this 'look' in tranny film, or is there anything else I should be considering?

Thanks for your help,
    Gavin
    Just try a roll of each and see which one you prefer.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Is there a particular reason you want to use transparency film, projection or ILFOCHROME for instance?

Tom

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin