Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,500   Posts: 1,571,603   Online: 1301

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Fuji Astia v Kodak E100G

I don't use much colour film but am looking to use some low-saturated slide film for a project.

I've used Portra NC neg film and liked the muted colours and soft palate. Is Astia 100F or Kodak E100G the nearest to this 'look' in tranny film, or is there anything else I should be considering?

Thanks for your help,
    Gavin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The best would be if you could find some Ektachrome 64 (daylight) or Ektachrome 100. These had the most neutral colors of all E-6 films, and were mostly used for product photography. Other than that, I would recommend Astia, as it is the most neutral that is still in production.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by coigach View Post
    I don't use much colour film but am looking to use some low-saturated slide film for a project.

I've used Portra NC neg film and liked the muted colours and soft palate. Is Astia 100F or Kodak E100G the nearest to this 'look' in tranny film, or is there anything else I should be considering?

Thanks for your help,
    Gavin
    Lokk here:http://www.justfilmsf.com/

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Astia is probably the mellowest E-6 film. All are more contrasty than Portra NC films, aside from Astia they are all more saturated as well. E100G is probably more like the Portra VC films, but it is very pretty and clean.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I shoot Fuji Sensia 100, a consumer-version of Astia 100F, a lot. I really like the low contrast and natural colour rendition that is not warm nor cool. Especially the highlight area (is it called "toe" in slide film?) is long, so highlights don't blow up so easily as they do with Provia; you don't have to err on the underexpose side so much, and it will give you more "negative film" look.

If you want even lower contrast, you might want to try rating film one stop slower and pull processing. But, you have to try it with the particular film you are going to use. I have tested pulling and can recommend it with Velvia 50; it will give overall lower contrast both in the shadows and hilights as well as midtones.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    what format? 35mm, 120/220/4x5/8x10?

If 35 or 120, you have your options quite open.

i personally like e100g. You can also over-expose the film, say at 80, and pull 1/3 stop.

Try it and see how you like it.

Astia is very nice too though. Great on skin tones. A little flatter in the mid-tones IMO. E100g has more mid-range contrast from what I've found in my work.

-Dan

Shooter
    35mm
    When it comes to slide film, NOTHING gets you closer to the 'C41 look' than Astia. The look of E100G is MUCH more 'chrome-like' than Astia. So, if muted colors, low contrast, and high exposure latitude are what you are looking for, Astia is what you want.

As far as finding Ektachrome EPN 100, I actually think that even this film is more 'chrome-like' than Astia

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thanks for answers, very helpful.

Will give Astia 100F in 120 a go and see how I get on...

Cheers,
    Gavin

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I'm not entirely convinced that Sensia is consumer Astia, I find had much more of a magenta shift when cross processed.

Shooter
    Medium Format

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin