Switch to English Language Passer en langue franšaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 75,232   Posts: 1,659,929   Online: 885

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Kodachrome in 127

Is there any chance that someone has a reference for when Kodachrome was last available in 127?

I just got a "new" camera (Balda Baldi, 1930s German folder) that I opened to find contained a roll of film. All I have for ID is half of the tape that once held the roll closed. That has something ending in "CHROME" (white letters on red block) with "Kodak" (red letters on white background) under that. The leader paper is pink/plum and doesn't say much -- "kodak" on the edges and "127" at the lead.

I'm assuming Kodachrome.

The slightly odd thing is that it wasn't used. It's on the dispensing spool, not the take-up.

Is there any way of knowing what sort of KC it was? My investigations certainly ruined the first several inches of film, so this is really just intellectual curiosity. I assumed that anything before the last crop would be impossible to get processed anyway.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The fact that `Kodak┤ is printed below the film name does not hint at Kodachrome at all.

What about `Verichrome┤ by Kodak?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'd think Verichrome would be far more likely. I've seen references to kodachrome in 126 (instamatic format) but never 127. If it was kodachrome, it'd be the old variety that could no longer be processed to colour. Have a crack at developing it and see what comes out.
    The Analogue Laboratory, or 'so you built a darkroom in an old factory in the industrial zone'.
    Blog thing!.

Worry less. Photograph more.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by AgX View Post
    The fact that `Kodak┤ is printed below the film name does not hint at Kodachrome at all.

What about `Verichrome┤ by Kodak?
    You know, despite the (repeated) recent threads on the etymology of Verichrome, somehow that completely slipped my mind.

I blame Friday evening braincell deficiency.

In other words, "oops."

Shooter
    35mm
    Could also be Ektachrome, which was available in 127. "Original" Ektachrome (with no suffix, -X or -64, etc.,) might be from the late 50's or early 60's?.

Shooter
    35mm
    The plum coloured paper suggests the 1970s to me - that's the colour of the paper on my 70's Plus-X.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Verichrome Pan had a plum coloured backing paper, it was the first film I used, in a Kodak Brownie 127. It was Kodak's highest selling B&W film at one point.

Ian

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    Verichrome Pan had a plum coloured backing paper, it was the first film I used, in a Kodak Brownie 127. It was Kodak's highest selling B&W film at one point.

Ian
    Cool, then I think I'll just have a try at shooting it. The memory is fuzzy, but I think this will be the first roll of Verichrome that I've developed.

Shooter
    35mm
    FYI, the "exposed" tag at the other end confirmed Verichrome. I'm not expecting much, but it would be cool if some of it worked -- decades old film in a ~70 year old camera, shooting hundred year old architecture (with the occasional microwave tower intruding).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Kodachrome was never available in 127. Ektachrome was available, however.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  Ś   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin