Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,534   Posts: 1,544,052   Online: 1117

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images

I found the grain!

Today I enlarged 35mm negatives of Ektar 100 to 16x20 and I can now see the grain! It's still very small, but it's definitely there. It's now not a question of film resolution but lens sharpness. I just want to say that this film is amazing and I love it. I can now justify stocking up on $300 worth of supra endura.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I have a few rolls in my freezer that I've been wanting to shoot for a while, but it's been all rainy and crappy for the last month and a half here (the only "good" days were days I was busy, which is my usual luck).

Hopefully i'll be able to burn through some Ektar soon
    "I have captured the light and arrested its flight! The sun itself shall draw my pictures!"

-Louis Daguerre, 1839-

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I have a bunch of 6x9 negatives you can try out at that size. And a bunch of 16x20 paper.

My wonder now is about ektar 25...

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by fiducio View Post
    My wonder now is about ektar 25...
    I'm fairly sure that it's not better, or at least not that much better. The film had approximately the same level of grain AFAIK because 2 decades of improvements allowed them to gain 2 stops of speed with the same grain. If the old Ektar 25 was frozen that increases the grain too, so you're probably better off shooting fresh film.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I have to admit, the reference to Ektar 25 threw me for a minute. Then I remembered that Kodak made such a thing. I seriously wish there were some slower color films out there (I like doing landscapes and still lifes), but it looks like 100 speed is about as good as it gets.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I'm getting impatient waiting to shoot my Ektar. I've heard a lot of good things about it, and I want to see what all the fuss is about.

I'd like to see how big you have to enlarge to see the grain in medium format

Any idea if they're going to release it in sheet film any time soon? 4x5 sheets of it might be pretty cool, even if it's going to be a while before I muve up to large format
    "I have captured the light and arrested its flight! The sun itself shall draw my pictures!"

-Louis Daguerre, 1839-

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by photomem View Post
    (I like doing landscapes and still lifes), but it looks like 100 speed is about as good as it gets.
    I said the same thing a while back and I guess the argument is if the speed can be made then why not? It's easy enough to use an ND filter but harder to gain speed if it's not there. If you want slow get some microfilm.

Any idea if they're going to release it in sheet film any time soon? 4x5 sheets of it might be pretty cool, even if it's going to be a while before I muve up to large format
    I don't think so. They've got 160VC in 4x5 which is what I'm going to try out soon. Don't count on it though. It was hard enough to get it in 120.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by photomem View Post
    it looks like 100 speed is about as good as it gets.
    There's Velvia 50 for E6, but far as C41 stuff goes 100 is as slow as it gets far as I know, yeah.

Shooter
    35mm
    Well Kodachrome is at 64 speed but its been discontinued

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I've pulled C41 film 14 stops in developing when doing tests, but only added +10 stops to box speed exposure, but still got a reasonable image.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin