Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,751   Posts: 1,515,831   Online: 1037

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by John Shriver View Post
    Well, with Supra Endura being discontinued, optical printing is going to be more difficult. Fuji Crystal Archive is the last optical RA-4 paper, other than Kodak's Metallic.
    You can still buy it. and Supra Endura VC isn't as bad as people are worried it is.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    One thing you're missing from analog RA4 is that particular softness of the projected image. When you scan, it's easy to artificially boost sharpness, beyond what the original material possesses. But when you print by projection, you come back to a more natural, rounder rendition of edges. I find B&W in this respect to be much sharper than RA4.

I'm a lazy RA4 printer, meaning that I only print the negatives that have a normal contrast range for Endura paper, and don't bother shooting difficult scenes. I have spent my learning energies on B&W printing, so unless I could acquire a better temperature control setup (e.g. a Jobo or a Colourtherm), I remain modest in my colour printing ambitions.

But it remains an awesome feeling to pull a correct print, hot from the processing tube. It's weirder than B&W, because in the latter case you can see the image appear, but with RA4, you must wait until the end of the wash, and there's still something awe-inspiring about the complexity of dye-coupler print chemistry.
    Using film since before it was hip.

"One of the most singular characters of the hyposulphites, is the property their solutions possess of dissolving muriate of silver and retaining it in considerable quantity in permanent solution" — Sir John Frederick William Herschel, "On the Hyposulphurous Acid and its Compounds." The Edinburgh Philosophical Journal, Vol. 1 (8 Jan. 1819): 8-29. p. 11

My APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    Medium Format
    As a relatively new color printer, I would have said that you have relatively little control over saturation and contrast with RA4. But, it looks as if there are some tricks to be tried!

As I noted last week in this thread (http://www.apug.org/forums/forum40/6...tml#post882025), Kodak says that it will maintain Supra Endura in sheets. The "transition" is only for rolls. At least for now.

Shooter
    35mm Pan
    As PE said, there are ways to control saturation and contrast. The simplest way is or at least used to be to change the paper you use (or have 2-3 papers to choose from), but nowadays there aren't that many alternatives. Of course you could also use some kind of masks to do that, but it needs a lot of work of course.

By the way, isn't there also some paper called "Edge" by Kodak? I haven't seen it sold anywhere but I've read some APUG user use it currently and someone told me they should still make it...

EDIT: Oh yes, Ektacolor Edge http://www.kodak.com/global/en/busin...?pq-path=12081

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I haven't tried edge. How does it compare to supra? Should I bother trying? AFAIK it's only available in rolls though...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin