Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,952   Posts: 1,522,728   Online: 881

Shooter
    35mm

Kodachrome processing?

There have been numerous postings here and on other groups concerning the complications of Kodachrome processing, together with various rumours of successful home-processing, and plans and proposals for services like 120 processing and alternative K-14 when Dwaynes eventually finish.

But I've never seen or been able to find any examples anywhere of home-processed Kodachrome. Is it just another urban myth?

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I have seen them. They look like crap. I have tried, and I got crap. It would take actual K14 chemistry, actual re-exposure filters with a calibrated re-exposure system like a variable output flash, and a lot of patience. It is feasible, but I have many better things to do with my life. Though if I end up in Parsons, Kansas before 2010 I would definitely at least ask.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It can be done, but like any very complex process it requires long hours of setup and practice. I have seen excellent results from a hand process and crap as well from skilled and first time operators respectively.

You do not want to use a flash. The re-exposure is via filtered white light with the film moving past (or moved past) the exposing aperture for the correct duration (Time X Intensity). Use of the right filters and color developers will result in an excellent result.

One can practice using an E6 film. The 3 color developers are 3 uses of 1 E6 color developer after each exposure. The couplers are in the film. Once the process is down pat, then work with Kodachrome. One caveat. IDK how current Ektachrome red sensitizer will survive the process. Kodachrome used a special dye. Ektachrome may not be up to that standard. But, if you do it right, you can get usable images.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Somewhere here, there is an image of someone's attempts at K-14 processing at home. I'll try to find it.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    http://www.apug.org/forums/forum172/...-films-14.html

look in here somewhere. his name is darkroom experimenter

Shooter
    35mm
    That's all very interesting, thanks guys.

I guess that I'm always quite amazed that something like Kodachrome works at all, especially thinking back to the early days in the 30's and 40's.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin