Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,515   Posts: 1,572,091   Online: 1178

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Frozen Kodachrome 200 (exp 96) too old to shoot?

Do you think Kodachrome 200 expired in 96 would have so much fogging that nothing would come out even though it has been frozen since being purchased?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Not sure about how kodachrome ages, but Ektachrome that old shoots great from the examples I've seen on another forum.

Shooter
    35mm
    The base density will appear greenish-grey instead of black; the colors should not be affected.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Dmax will be low, and you shouldn't look for the most accurate colors, but it should be good enough for most work.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I had some continuously frozen Kodachrome 200 that expired in 2006 that I shot in 2008...it was quite magenta.

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks for your opinions, I figured that the color wouldn't be right anyway especially when the emulsion is more than a decade old. I am interested to see how they look after I get them processed. I will post them here when I get them.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I have Kodachrome 200 rolls bought at Calumet from the last production, when discontinuance was announced. They kept it cold, I immediately froze it. I've shot one roll, it's tipping magenta. Not awfully magenta, but sure enough to notice. So 15 years old -- likely to be very magenta. The only Kodachrome 200 I was ever happy with the color balance of was the "Professional" version, bought fresh, used fresh. It was wonderful.

E76
    Shooter
    Instant Films
    Images
    While we're on the subject, anyone know what to possibly expect from frozen Kodachrome 25, expired 1980?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    IME, old Kodachrome of any type gets very magenta. I imagine that the faster the film speed is, the faster it degrades, but this is just a generalized rule of thumb that might not apply in this particular case. Very interesting to hear the report above of two-year-out-of-date, but frozen, K-200 having gone magenta already, and also the other report of the last available batch having already gone magenta. It was only discontinued a few years ago, to my recollection. Alas...it was my favorite Kodachrome by far; the only one I had much use for.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by E76 View Post
    While we're on the subject, anyone know what to possibly expect from frozen Kodachrome 25, expired 1980?
    I have used continuously-frozen K25 from 1981, and the highlights are just starting to turn magenta. Anything less than 24/7/30 years deep freeze will definitely be magenta.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin