Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,228   Posts: 1,532,721   Online: 823

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Don't know if I'm some kind of a slacker but I usually buy film enough for the coming two-four months. I store my film in a dark, dry place like in a drawer in my study and that's it. I definitely don't want to create a large film repository in my freezer like pro photogs do.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mablo View Post
    Don't know if I'm some kind of a slacker but I usually buy film enough for the coming two-four months.
    If you are some kind of a slacker, then so am I!

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jphendren View Post
    If I travel with my camera, I usually keep my film in an ice pack thing that my wife used for breast milk.
    This is really not necessary at all. All you do is slow down the deterioration for a while, but it is of no significance because the time is this short. If you store it in warm place for a day, it can be same as storing in refrigerator for a week -- it does no real difference because film keeps perfectly good for months in room temperature.

This is very different than with food; much more simple. It's all about time x temperature with film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have been storing it in the freezer for years.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by hrst View Post
    This is really not necessary at all. All you do is slow down the deterioration for a while, but it is of no significance because the time is this short. If you store it in warm place for a day, it can be same as storing in refrigerator for a week -- it does no real difference because film keeps perfectly good for months in room temperature.
    I did not know this. I always thought that if the film were allowed to get warm, that the colors would shift and bad things could happen LOL. I guess that makes sense though; film stays warm the entire time it is in the camera body, which in my case can be weeks/months sometimes.

Jared

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I did not know this. I always thought that if the film were allowed to get warm, that the colors would shift and bad things could happen LOL. I guess that makes sense though; film stays warm the entire time it is in the camera body, which in my case can be weeks/months sometimes.
    How warm is warm?
    And how long do you want to keep the film at its best?

Keep your film in the almost proverbial glove box of your car baking in the sun, and it will go off rapidly.

Keep it in the camera for months, and it will go off faster then when in the freezer.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    At 25C, several months mean nothing.
    At 5C, a year or two means nothing.
    At -18C, several years mean nothing.

And with "nothing", I mean absolutely nothing. Usually film that has been a year or two in room temp is completely usable, though, with very little effects.

You can extrapolate a little. At car window it can reach 50C and it may survive this shock but will deteriorate quite quickly, if you keep it there for days (or weeks).

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Or is a refrigerator good enough? I've been keeping mine in the refrigerator.

Jared
    Except for Pro emulsions, no need to fridge it, as long as it is kept cool and free from extreme high temp. I keep film in the fridge as much because it means I know where it is as for any other reason.

Some stuff I really want to keep well past expiration date is in a freezer in the basement, though; along with Boesplug, et Cie Zone VI Brilliant, original Seagull, and maybe some Agfa Record Rapid. I guess I should do an inventory.
    John, Mount Vernon, Virginia USA

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I keep my film in the freezer because I have some discontinued emulsions. And I have the space for the film. Freezing keeps it as fresh as I possibly can. [Especially the HIE]

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    35mm
    "How warm is warm?"

Room temp, inside my house. Probably 75-78F or so.

Jared

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin