Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,712   Posts: 1,514,653   Online: 987

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

Kodak Vericolor 5072

On what amounts to a curious whim, I bought a bulk roll of Vericolor 5072 off eBay yesterday -- aka SO-279. It's been frozen since 2004, and the seller claims it's still fine (touch wood). It intrigued me because it's C-41 process slide film. One comment from the seller states: "Process KODAK VERICOLOR Slide Film in KODAK FLEXICOLOR Chemicals for ProcessC-41." I don't know beans about C-41 chemistry, so I'm hoping that "FLexicolor" isn't some sort of exotic formulation requiring special procedures. I'm hoping I can just drop the rolls off at my regular processor, and have them develop the film only -- no prints.

I'm also curious as to what I might expect. It sounds as if this film was intended for various sorts of copying purposes, which suggests to me that it's probably a low-contrast emulsion, but I'd be curious as to what any of you who have used it think of it.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    You have print film. You take negatives and duplicate them using the correct filtration onto this film, which makes positives. It's processed the same as your local minilab. I hope you enjoy making prints. If you don't then it might give funky prints. But when processed it is a negative film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    sounds like cool stuff! show us some examples when you have some!!!

-Dan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Okay, I see now. Thanks for clearing this up -- the description was somewhat confusing. I don't plan to make prints from this film. I plan to scan it or use a slide duplicator with my DSLR and dupe it. I may have prints made from the scans/dupes. Anyway, it should be fun to play around with.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Prints as in from negatives to slides. sorry.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Recently I've been playing around with scanning and duping negatives as positives, and then converting them to positive images in my image processing software. Since this film has no orange cast, it seems that it will make the process of color balance easier. Currently, I have to get rid of a lot of cyan after the negative has been reversed. This is doable, but the reversal process usually results in a very low contrast image, which must be corrected using substantial histogram adjustments. So if this film makes the process easier, then great. If not, well I do have a lot of negatives I wouldn't mind having as slides.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Vericolor 5072 is not a Dupe Negative Film as stated above.

It is a transparency print film (to make slides from negatives) :

No reversal development, no mask. But low contrast, low speed and spectral sensitivity designed for the dyes in the original negative.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    It actually very high contrast - its designed to make a slide out of color neg which is less contrasty than world.
    Its slow, I use it at EI 3 - 0,7 depending on conditions.

If you want normal pictures with normal colors the film is pretty useless. It's tungsten balanced and expects the orange negative mask.

It is may impossible to correct it digitally to normal colors when exposed in camera. When shot without filtration it gives blue or blue-cyan images with no or almost none of other colors as its blue speed is much higher than other color speeds. Closest to normal I got was with yellow filter and tungsten lightning but there's still some crossover and high contrast more so than a cross processed slides.

Shooter
    35mm
    One more thing: It's old stuff and regardless of it's condition it might need the old kind of stabiliser.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Domin,
    you are right, it's not low contrast. I got astray on this feature with that Dupe thing again. Sorry.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin