Switch to English Language Passer en langue franÁaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,445   Posts: 1,570,016   Online: 876

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    try pec-12. works for me every time. takes some experience though to get it right, especially with bigger film. try it with some pec pads and a rocket blower(or a baby nose blower/sucker thingy) you can get those at your local pharmacy. ask the pharmacist, they may give you one for free. mine did a year back. so I don't really care if I lose it, cause it was free .

I generally use the canned air, I used to print at a place that had hookups to a compressor in every color room, so it was nice and convenient for that purpose.

go easy on the pec-12 though... you DON'T need a lot, just a DROP or TWO on a pec pad. nothing more. definitely not soaked!

-Dan

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use one of these:

http://kinetronics.com/store/kse.html

Costs a pretty penny but it always gets the job done over and over. I usually allow for negatives to get dusty in polyester sleeves, etc. so before enlarging I always pass a strip through the KSE and then into the carrier. I usually end up fighting dust on glass carriers more than negatives.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by bvy View Post
    Iíve been using canned air to clean dust from negatives, but recently it spat on one of them (I swear I didnít shake it). Whatever it spat evaporated quickly and left a nice mark. I like the convenience and force of canned air, but I donít like this side effect. Plus, canned air needs replenished; Iíd like something reusable and inexpensive.

Iíve been looking at something called a Giottos Rocket, and Iíve read of people using it to more safely blow dust off of negatives. I canít imagine it blows with the same force as canned air though (does it?), but Iím wondering if itís enough to do the job just as effectively.

Also, Iíve been looking at an anti-static cloth from Ilford. It looks good for a quick, gentle wipe of the negative Ė perhaps for more stubborn dust.

Iím wondering how effective one or both of these solutions would be in lieu of canned air. Or maybe someone has something else in mind. Thanks.
    isopropilic alcohol

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  ó   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin