Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,682   Posts: 1,548,527   Online: 847

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

E6/C 41 chem compatibilty

I apologize in advance if this has been covered but I completely suck at searching this site (is it just me? :o )

Can anyone tell me what chemicals/components are interchangeable between c41 and E6?

I would assume the first developers can be used with either process but the color developer would not due to the chemical reversal component in some?

Are the bleaches the same?

Fixer should be the same?

What about final rinse.

Thanks for any insight here.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    The bleach is interchangeable (I believe, I know the processes use two different bleaches) fixer is, neither of the developers are interchangeable with acceptable results. The final rinses are interchangeable, but you still need the pre-bleach to achieve proper stability.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I believe to refine the bleach question, E6 bleach, a stronger than c-41 bleach is fine on c-41, but c-41 bleach chemistry's action is not sufficiently active to bleach all required surplus dyes. I believe this is a side effect of slide film being colour former rich, while neg film is colour former starved. So e6 has more colur former dyes along with elemental silver that formed the image to bleach away
    my real name, imagine that.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I would interchange only fixer. A traditional formalin-based stabilizer should also work in any process, be it "3-bath" E6, real E6 or C-41 with older and current films.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin