Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,206   Posts: 1,531,858   Online: 950

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Color Checker Chart

To test/maximize my color balance consistency, I want a color checker chart like the Macbeth one to which I can match to my print. However they all seem to cost ~$60 which is rather ridiculous for a piece of plastic with some colors on it IMHO. Is it possible to acquire one for any cheaper or am I just stuck paying that much?

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Qualities of test cards vary. You can make your own by buying coloured paper and assamble patches of it. Or even print a card out.

However, if you want certain spectral reflections, longevity etc. you'll probably have to buy something. Over here we even have a guru-of-the-grey who only makes test cards.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Kodak sells a calibrated test chart for about $30, and there is also one with an 18% gray card in their Color Dataguide which is still published.

Both charts are about 5x7.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    ebay. I got mine slightly used for $15 + shipping, or something close to that. It was a sleeper auction, and ended at 2:30 in the a.m. my time. So I got it for the opening bid.

craigslist too.

-Dan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    oh.. are you wanting the full size one, or the smaller, more compact(travel size) one? i gots the big one.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I want anything really. That's a good idea. I just made one myself using an inkjet printer but I'll keep on the lookout for the real thing.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The real thing is worth it. It's not just colored plastic. The color chips are made of special materials.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Alright I'll build a new piggybank.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The real thing is calibrated in a way that your inkjet can't be, and the inks/pigments in the ColorChecker are chosen for good metameric properties (look it up, you'll learn something) and resistance to fading and changing over time. I've had mine for about 30 years, and it's still in good useful shape. (It will deteriorate if you leave it out under bright light and sun for long periods of time.)

The patches are also chosen to approximate common real world colors, darker skin, lighter skin, blue sky, etc, and to show some colors that are particularly difficult to reproduce.

I also happen to use Picture Window Pro when editing scans. It has a function that allows you to lay a grid over a scan of a Color Checker and then automates a color correction curve. You can save that curve and apply it to any photo shot with the same film under the same lighting conditions as the photo of the Color Checker.

The Color Checker is a great tool, and an industry standard for decades. Mine has cost me about US$1 a year so far.

Lee

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Very good inexpensive chart

I say again, this one is not bad. It is also inexpensive!

PE
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails kodak q-60 color chart.jpg  

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin