Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,556   Posts: 1,545,026   Online: 873

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format

Kinda urgent help needed with Kodachrome pls?

Good day!
    I have an assignment to be there at 0400 so I have to figure this out.

I've never shot Koda with Flash...

I have a new roll of Kodachrome in my F5 (My goto body) and have only used 3 exposures. I have to be using the F5 inside early tomorrow morning.

Do I use the rest with flash? Yikes, don't know how? Or take the loss and put in my 800z et. al.

Thanks kindly.
    Tom

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    shoot what you know. Is there a reason to shoot Kodachrome in favor of color neg? If you're inside, I'd personally opt for the color neg, mostly for the latitude. But that's me.

-Dan

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Yes Dan, that's the way I'm leaning. No reason, I like color Neg (800z / 400h etc) but I wanted to try Koda and be frugal with it so it just turned out that way.
    Thanks again.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    No reason you can't use the Kodachrome with flash, but the combination probably isn't the best for an ad hoc learning experience.
    Probably best to rewind the kodachrome manually, if the camera allows it, stop turning as soon as you feel it snag a bit as it gets to the end of the leader on the winding spool. Then mark the leader with how many exposures are on it and reload it when it's a more appropriate film.

Much depends on what sort of things you're doing with the flash, and what sort of flash, i.e. TTL, automatic, completely manual, etc.

Otherwise, using flash with Kodachrome is no different than using it with any other film. Since slide films have less latitude than neg films, shadow detail might be a problem, but it all depends on what you're doing.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I like how Kodachrome 64 turns out with electronic flash. No issues with my Vivitar 283.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Kodachrome works wonderfully with electronic flash. The combination was the staple of indoor color photography for close on 50 years and it's color rendering has never been surpassed. Shoot it, be happy, don't worry.
    DARKROOM AUTOMATION
    f-Stop Timers - Enlarging Meters
    http://www.darkroomautomation.com/da-main.htm

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Ok guys, so let me please ask you this as I NEVER use flash.
    I use a light meter so if my ambient is for example, at ISO 64, 250 at f/8, how do I compensate that with my lil' Nikon SB600?

Thank you so much for your quick help.
    Tomorrow I'm out at 0400 to document the arrival of a Div. of our brave troops coming home while their families are there to great them, then follow them to the Mess Hall etc... This is one of the ways I give back to not only community but these are the guys/gals that allow me and my boy to do what ever and where ever we choose. My son has this freedom because of the wonderful men and women and I've done these before. (About twice a month) but never this early and never indoors.
    Thank you again.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Meant something like 1/4 at f/2.8 etc.......

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Your flash is automatic, right? Let it pick its own exposure. Given you have so little ambient, you will likely end up with flash-dominated images if your exposures are short enough (1/60) to be steady with people in them. An ISO400 film would be a much better choice here because the ambient would be only one stop down at f/2.8 1/60. At 64, the ambient won't even register unless you drag the shutter (long exposure plus flash).

An event is not the time to be learning how your equipment works.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Take the film out of the camera, mark the number of exposures on it.
    Read through the quick guide for the flash
    Mount the flash and work with it some without film in the camera. In TTL mode, it will use the camera's exposure system, as stated, you don't need to worry about ambiant light. Just stay within the flash's effective range, as a guess it's probably good for up to 15 feet or so.
    Load the camera either with the Kodachrome or color neg and go for it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin