Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,982   Posts: 1,523,869   Online: 1055

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    well, at least your taxes went to something good

I've recently found out from a friend that his dad purchased a porsche 911 gt2 at a sheriff's auction (drug bust car) for $9,500. I believe that was the starting bid too .

he tells me the car is sweet, customized with navigation and a kickin stereo system.

oh well, I got my Yashica T4 at the thrift shop for $2.50, so I'm kind of riding on air on that find .

I've recently(up until resuming school) been using the facilities at a local photo center. They have pretty much everything, including Jobo systems(CPP2 and a bunch of CPA's). I'm one of the few people still shooting film(especially m/f and l/f), but the 2nd in command there knows I like film, and he happily gets me the c-41 chems and some kodak rapid fix. they let everyone else(seriously like 3 or 4 other people) use the bulk chems they get. good stuff, but he lets only me use the really good stuff . I've been talking to him about getting the E-6 chems, cause I've found a somewhat cheap source of 120 and 4x5 chromes here in LA. slightly expired, but good nonetheless.

ohh... they have Imacons, a full b/w and color darkroom area(individual rooms w/ 4x5 enlargers) and 2 colex 30" ra-4 processors(one is set up for the digi people connected to a Chromira LED digital printer). They only run luster paper through the machine though, I prefer glossy. No matter.

-dan

Shooter
    Medium Format
    A 911 for 9K? A T4 for $2.50? Awesome. I love these deals.
    I got my 2300 while googleing and doing research on the small units and this came up on a small city / gov surplus site.
    No one bid for it and I drove from NJ to Detroit to get her. My boy and I made a vacation during it at Put-in-Bay.

I now always check the gov surplus sites.
    T

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The only problem with that machine is having enough throughput to keep it up to snuff.

I know I am shooting more film now than in the last 3-4 years but it would be hard to justify that thing in my house

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Tom,

Your Imacon scanner is an amazing steal too.
    Wish you were closer, with no customs office between you and me...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Bruce, what do you mean when you write Throughput? Enough product? Film?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    i believe that's what he meant.

Tom, you mentioned that you picked up your 2300 from a crime lab or something of the sort. They went through quite a bit of film when they shot film I would imagine, so yes, more throughput. A small, family-run portrait studio would be the ideal place for this setup too, since repeatability and reliability are needed for consistency. Especially when its business-related, not just a serious hobby.

I would imagine though that the best place for this machine would be in a school(city college or university) where the photo dept would use it every day.

A friend of mine who lives in AZ had his H.S. group class photograph shot on 4x5. He's a photo bug too, so he was able to talk to the photographer after seeing him make adjustments with the sinar f2 he was using to take the shot.

4 sheets of film to get the shot right, and everyone paying $15 for an 11x14 picture(probably printed at costco) x350 students, makes for a nice little business if you ask me . and a good profit margin .

-Dan

Shooter
    Medium Format
    That makes sense, completely, but I purchased it because it makes life so wonderful and easy for developing E6 and C41 in one easy shot. It came with the Jobo Water mixing panel as well so I get my temps right on to the 1/10th of F. Degree. It's already paid for it's self, even with purchased chem, over and over again. And I used Target for .99 a roll for my daily stuff.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    and the prices they get for dev. and scanning 4x5 C-41 and E-6 is just nutz. Deserving but not in my budget. And when/if I go larger, I'm set....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin