Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,706   Posts: 1,548,494   Online: 1009

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Walgreens Store Brand Color Film

I was walking thru Walgreens today and picked up some Walgreens brand
    200 speed Color 35mm film. The box says "Product of Japan".

Anyone know who makes this film?

Greg

Shooter
    Medium Format
    A friend of mine who works at Walgreens says it is rebranded Fuji. As far as correlation between what the Walgreens label says and what type of Fuji it is, he did not know. But, you can rest assured it is the cheapest stuff they can buy.

Shooter
    35mm
    Isn't Fuji the only company in Japan now manufacturing color film?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    This may be rather obvious, but I am going to ask anyway. after it's processed, what does the rebate say?

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    I suppose it may be Fujicolor C200. A film I recently discovered.
    A cheap film made with older technology, not as nice as Superia 200.

I used a lot of Drugstore branded film in my first 6 months, my negs have "N200" marked in the edge, together with the usual green-red lines of fuji.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Yeah, Walgreens used to use AGFA for their own brand of film ("Made in Germany" on the package), and after AGFA went bust, they switched to Fuji ("Made in Japan" on the package), as far as I can tell.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    how much did it cost ?

haha

Outdated Superia can be routinely found on that auction site we all know and love (cough) for around a buck a roll.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    i get some film (generally for the saturation boost) for 99c/roll at my local 99c store. in date. definitely fuji c200. prints nicely. grainy though.

I have found a cheaper (4 roll pack/$1) at my local 'Nothing over 99c store'. Its expired in 09/08, but it looks great, and the colors are spot on from what I can see. I have to make another trip back to get all that I can of that film they have in stock that I can afford. Hell, I shoot it in my T4 and the negs look great. Even better when through the F100.

I know that many people tell me "don't shoot expired film if you value your images!" absolute bollocks if you ask me. My color photog teacher has asked me to print negs I normally wouldn't have just because she likes what I'm shooting and printing. Besides, my local store buys in BULK, and I check the emulsion numbers on the boxes, and get the same E-#'s, so they're coming out of the same boxes, so stored the same. No problems so far, except for the pack of Max 800 i got. bad cyan density loss. and extremely grainy. and this was with a small (1/4) stop push.

all my classmates shoot $6/roll portra and $5/roll fuji pro films. since I process my own rather than take it to a lab, it shows less grain(IMO) and the saturation is in all the right places, at least for me.

i print on fuji CA, glossy. nice and sharp, saturated(in all the right places, reds/grass/blue(not cyan) skies) great stuff. and "aged"

-Dan

Shooter
    35mm
    There are, of course, variations in quality between films, but I think that poor quality processing and printing is sometimes a bigger factor in producing disappointing results.

I've recently found a good quality lab, handles anything from 110 to professional 20x16, and have been delighted with the results I've had from all films, even cheapy C200 and Kodak Colormax.
    Ektar and the Fuji equivalents are even better...but not that much! And I'm very critical.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    When I worked for one of Kodak's finishing labs, back in the 80's, own brand supermarket and chemist's stores films were one of the big name's older generation of films. In those days fuji, and agfa were the main ones. It's probably the same today, (though not agfa). I can't be sure, however as I moved on to a pro lab in the early 90's.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin