Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,678   Posts: 1,482,057   Online: 780

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

A few questions re Fuji E6 chems...

So, I purchased a couple of Fuji E6 5-liter kits ("Chrome 6x") - see attached pic.

I'll be mixing my first batch soon, but I'm still in doubt regarding a few things, namely:

Longevity:
    The papers state the longevity of the mixed solution in various storage situations (half-full, tightly capped, etc...), but I still don't know how long the kit can last in its original factory package (unopened concentrates). I think I read somewhere that unopened it would last some 18 months... Possible?

Mixing smaller quantities:
    I don't need full 5 liters of mixed chems... It would go bad too soon - besides, handling multiple (smaller) containers will be a problem. So, I'll probably be using a couple 300ml batches, until I get familiar with the process, and then perhaps 1 liter batches for 2 or 3 larger runs (batches of 10-16 4x5 chromes in Jobo 2840 drum, plus some medium format films).
    I think the best way would be to mix smaller batches as needed, and transfer the remaining concentrates into smaller containers, to prolong the life of concentrate... and add some marbles to displace air from the smaller bottles with the concentrates.

Reusing solution:
    Is it OK to reuse the diluted chems (solutions) immediately for a second run? I.e. preparing 1 liter solutions for all 6 chems, using it for one run (let's say 14 sheets of Velvia 4x5), and then a couple of hours later (or next day, when the drums and the reels have thoroughly dried) reusing those same diluted chems (solutions) for another run of another 14 sheets of 4x5 Velvia? I think I don't need to extend the times, since the data sheet states something like 118 4x5 sheets witout the need for extending the developing times.

I'll be using Jobo CPA2 and smaller and larger Jobo drums...

Thanks for any info...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fuji-E6_X6_5lit_Kit.jpg  
    Last edited by Denis P.; 11-13-2009 at 04:42 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: added some info

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm interested in this as well, with Jobo development too.

Does the constant motion in the Jobo cause development-failure faster, due to more air contact?

btw denis, how much did you pay for your 5L kit? I've heard of people using developer one-shot(not sure as to 1st dev or color, or both), then re-using the P-B, Bleach, Fix and stabilizer/final wash just like c-41 for consistency.

-Dan

Shooter
    Medium Format

Datasheet

I only use Kodak E6-kits. With the Kodak kit there is included a verey detailed leaflet on use/storage/dillutioning for half, 1, 2, 3,4 and 5 litre. How much film u can process. The quality of the slides processed is just fantastic! Never seen any pro lab do it better than what i gain self in my own small lab.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    ya, thats the main reason for me wanting to do it myself. total control over the processing. besides, night photography ain't my thing, so I can shoot during the day, and process at night .

why the kodak stuff btw?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by DanielStone View Post
    why the kodak stuff btw?
    They invented the stuff.

The Kodak Chemistry made by Champion, gives me the results i want. It last for a long time without using more than a burst protectan gas. Its a big damn leaflet following every box of chemistry. With that leaflet you can fine tune your own process. Its a damn E6-high school in that folded paper manual. How to colour correct, how to fail check, how to obtain lesser saturation etc.

It is just what i want to use. Its avaible by mailorder over the night so i dont have to stock up more tha a kit at a time.

And its even a rumour that in ten of the boxes made this year its a golden Willy Wonka ticket that will take you and your family to Rochester and let you spend a whole weekend in all of Kodaks estates and buildings under guidance of Photo Engineer.

JLP
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    And its even a rumour that in ten of the boxes made this year its a golden Willy Wonka ticket that will take you and your family to Rochester and let you spend a whole weekend in all of Kodaks estates and buildings under guidance of Photo Engineer.
    Now i need to stock a few more boxes. Good stuff Yellow Father.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    should we king PE the "Great Yellow Father" :o?

he's very helpful, no; extremely helpful!!!!

thanks PE!

now, if my family really gave a damn about my photography. I mean, they support me(well, sometimes). But they really have no interest in the process. So I could have some fellow classmates come if I won . if only.

-Dan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Kodak invented E6 and bore the burden of R&D. Fuji uses it free and clear as there were no patentable items in the process. Kodak chemistry is therefore more expensive than Fuji-Hunt. Many people ignore this and go for the less expensive stuff but any proprietary items are minor and come from Kodak which is in the forefront of R&D yet.

PE

JLP
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    PE would at most be one of the son's of the Great Yellow Father but that is not bad either
    Quality unequaled and as far as i know, Fuji's 5L kit is not available in the US.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The Fuji kit is quite good and roughly equivalent to the Kodak Kit AFAIK. Others that I hear of seem to have problems. I cannot comment.

Use what works.

PE

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin