Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,507   Posts: 1,543,551   Online: 1052

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

How to use it? Kodachrome 200.

Dear all,

just got a few rolls of the famous kodachrome 200 from a local auction site. I would greatly appreciate advice on what to use it for, and how, as there is little room for experiments with so few rolls. Would love to find out why some people love it so much.

I read in the forums here that I will have to expose it accurately. Should I try to err on the side of over- or underexposure if I am not sure?

I also gather that it can create strong colour casts under mixed light, and that warm and soft natural light is favourable. Should I use a warming filter on overcast days, as some recommend? Swedish winter is dark and dull, as you may know.

The film is a few years old, but has been frozen according to the seller.

thanks
    Erik

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Best way to avoid overexposure is to meter light using an incident meter. Those meters are keyed to give you highlights that won't blow up.

You should probably bracket half a stop over and under, since slide film likes slight underexposure, but perhaps the effective film speed has changed a bit over time because of storage conditions.

Take notes. Send your first roll to Dwayne's, and wait patiently for the results. Compare your notes with the results. It's the only way you can avoid wasting it.
    Using film since before it was hip.

"One of the most singular characters of the hyposulphites, is the property their solutions possess of dissolving muriate of silver and retaining it in considerable quantity in permanent solution" — Sir John Frederick William Herschel, "On the Hyposulphurous Acid and its Compounds." The Edinburgh Philosophical Journal, Vol. 1 (8 Jan. 1819): 8-29. p. 11

My APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    35mm
    I wonder if Dwayne's will do a clip test? Unfortunately I only got to shoot one roll of this film years ago - but I can attest to the strong color cast under artificial light, and also remember that it could be pushed to ISO 500. I used it for street photography at night with interesting results.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Interesting that it is pushable. I love speed. Grain increases probably then, and contrast, right?

Shooter
    35mm
    I'd follow Michel H-V's comments and advice, but would just add that outdated K200 can sometimes be susceptible to a slight maganta shift and loss of contrast, even when frozen. So a good idea to try it one-roll-at-a-time and see if any corrections are neceassary.
    K25 and K64 seem more stable films, and can last for years when frozen, with no deterioration for all practical purposes.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I think by now any K200 that hasn't been processed has a slight magenta shift. They really stretched out the last master rolls too long.

I'm shooting one of my last two rolls at the moment.

If you err on exposure, under-exposure is the only way that doesn't result in disaster.

You meter, shutter, and aperture all need to be accurate, and your metering technique solid. Absolutely unforgiving stuff. But a lovely look if you nail it.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    What regards exposure I should use my F3, it usually exposes other slidefilms well. I do not have another reliable lightmeter.

The films, five of them, lies besides me as I write this, together with envelopes that I apparently should adress to Kodak in Norway. Will start tomorrow already.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I recieved the first roll of developed film today, and it really is something else! Much more different to other slide films than I expected. There is a strong magenta cast, but still colours somehow look true. The most successful picture was the one I show below in which the magenta cast has cancelled the greenish flourescent light.

Another thing, if the slide is tilted, the picture is visible as if in relief, similar to black and white films. Interesting!

I think I will use the remaining four rolls in strong artificial light, where the reddish cast will be unimportant, or when flourescent light can be cancelled out.

I should not have tried Kodachrome, now I will miss it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Erik Petersson View Post
    What regards exposure I should use my F3, it usually exposes other slidefilms well. I do not have another reliable lightmeter.

The films, five of them, lies besides me as I write this, together with envelopes that I apparently should adress to Kodak in Norway. Will start tomorrow already.
    Freeze them immediately
    www.EASmithV.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera."— Dorothea Lange
    http://www.flickr.com/easmithv/
    RIP Kodachrome

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I would rather use them immediately. I don't think that they will detoriate very much further in the few weeks until they are used. Or am I wrong?

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin