Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,986   Posts: 1,524,033   Online: 852

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Do color printing filters fade over time?

I have a set of Ilfochrome printing filters that I've been trying to use for RA-4 printing. The filters are probably 20 years old or more.

I'm using fresh Arista chemistry and fresh Fuji Crystal Archive paper, but having a heck of a time getting the color balance even close. I'm using a standard condenser light source in an old Omega ProLab enlarger. (GE PH211 bulb).

I'm ending up with a filter pack around 0.2M and 0.2C (no Yellow) which seems very strange.

Scott

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I know mine faded after some years of use.

If you think you need filters, get them here: http://www.freestylephoto.biz/31633-...ers-3x3-in.-22 or http://www.freestylephoto.biz/31636-...ers-6x6-in.-22

Freestyle seems to be the only place that stocks new filters.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    It seems strange that you are having to use cyan for subtractive neg - pos printing. What colour casts are your prints showing?

Fred, the prints have a purple-ish cast.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Answer to subject-line question.

Yes.
    John, Mount Vernon, Virginia USA

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Adding more - so do Variable Contrast filters.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The old saying "these dyes, like all dyes, fade with time" is printed on every box of color material made by Kodak. Yes, the filters fade with time as well. Dichroic filters have a far lower tendancy to change if they change at all.

However, your purple cast is unusual. There have been recent reports of Fuji CA II paper doing this and being hard to correct. It may be due to using the wrong chemistry or process times. CA II paper, introduced in 2006, uses a different developer and process cycle.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Is the fading a result of age or use? If a brand new set is stored in the box for a long time and not used, will it have faded anyway? Just curious.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Just as a print will fade in a box when stored, filters will also fade when stored in the box. Some filters fade more rapidly than others. The Kodak Wratten series used Azo dyes similar to those used in Ciba/Ilfochrome paper for some regions of the spectrum. These fade very very slowly.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I would think that unless they were obviously faded to the naked eye, that they will work fine. If you are using trial-and-error, the actual grading of the filters doesn't matter, as long as they have all faded the same and you are not 'maxed out' on the highest filters. If you are using a color analyzer, you will still be able to select the 'correct' filter, irrespective of its original markings.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin