Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,741   Posts: 1,515,559   Online: 1016

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    This thread might be of interest as it discussed the difference between Kodak and Fuji.

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum40/10475-colour-negative-film-portraits.html

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Claire Senft
    If I want the best possible results in terms of grain and resolution there is, in my opinion, one choice...Konica Impresa 50. This film is not well distributed and can be hard to get. It is of moderate to low contrast and offers exceptional discrimation of various hues. This film is everything that Royal Gold 25 should have been. I use it with my 35mm on a very stable tripod...Majestic 2501..with the mirror locked up and hoprfully with an aperture of F5.6 or wider open with a good quality prime lens. This is as good as it gets as far as I am concerned.
    I agree. Sadly it has supposedly been discontinued, though I seem still to be able to get it. I have been filling a freezer just in case.

David.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Claire Senft
    If I want the best possible results in terms of grain and resolution there is, in my opinion, one choice...Konica Impresa 50. This film is not well distributed and can be hard to get. It is of moderate to low contrast and offers exceptional discrimation of various hues. This film is everything that Royal Gold 25 should have been. I use it with my 35mm on a very stable tripod...Majestic 2501..with the mirror locked up and hoprfully with an aperture of F5.6 or wider open with a good quality prime lens. This is as good as it gets as far as I am concerned.
    I have not used Impresa very much, but my limited experience or at least my subjective opinion is very different.

Impressa has grain similar or slightly smaller than Reala (which is about as fine as is available), colour rendition that is more muted than VPS and is about as flat as any film I have used.

It's palette is not that true, it just doesn't exaggerate -- kind of the antithesis of Velvia.

Ektar 25, had the finest grain of any colour neg film I have ever used (going away), good to great contrast with a slightly juicy palette. It also had the best reciprocity characteristics of any film I have ever used -- I just wish I had realized what I had when it was available.

I am sure Impresa is good film, but it is nothing like ektar 25. Neither film, from what I can tell, tried to achieve anything like the other.

Impresa is nothing like NPC or UC it is the polar opposite with regard to contrast and colour rendition.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I doubt you will ever see anyone produce a print film like Ektar 25, that was flat out the best print film ever made in my opinon, if we had only known, I know my freezer would be full!

Dave

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Apparently the Fuji Pro 160 films have grain quality very close to Ektar 25 from what I've heard.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin