Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,514   Posts: 1,543,604   Online: 1116

Shooter
    35mm

Un-diluted C41 chemicals

Hi all, I have been shooting black and white film for the last 6-7 months, really enjoying it and have decided to give colour processing a go. I think I am pretty happy about how to go about this.

Before I make up the chemicals I would like to know about the stability of the undiluted (raw?) chemicals. I understand that once made up the developing solution will degrade over 4 weeks (although from what it sounds like, unless expecting perfection 2-3 months should be ok), but what the unused concentrate, does this last?

For information I have just received the Fuji Hund X Press C41 kit and was thinking about making up 1 or 2 litres, leaving 3-4 undiluted. Once the seal is broken will the chemicals degrade or as they have not been mixed are they pretty much inert?

FWIW I have tried searching the forum for this point but I don't think I have found the right phrase to search with to find the answer to my question.

Many thanks

Jon

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by jonnyjt View Post
    Hi all, I have been shooting black and white film for the last 6-7 months, really enjoying it and have decided to give colour processing a go. I think I am pretty happy about how to go about this.

Before I make up the chemicals I would like to know about the stability of the undiluted (raw?) chemicals. I understand that once made up the developing solution will degrade over 4 weeks (although from what it sounds like, unless expecting perfection 2-3 months should be ok), but what the unused concentrate, does this last?

For information I have just received the Fuji Hund X Press C41 kit and was thinking about making up 1 or 2 litres, leaving 3-4 undiluted. Once the seal is broken will the chemicals degrade or as they have not been mixed are they pretty much inert?

FWIW I have tried searching the forum for this point but I don't think I have found the right phrase to search with to find the answer to my question.

Many thanks

Jon
    once the seal is broken the chemicals will degrade as you've exposed them to the atmosphere and not inert gasses.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Problem with these products with low usage is that the HDPE bottles where they come, with not perfectly airtight caps, cannot be squeezed well. Using inert gas, heavier than air (eg. butane) will solve the problem.

But, we at our club have never had any problems even with 6 - 9 month old undiluted solutions, even without any inert gas. On the other hand, there are many cases where XTOL has gone totally bad in 4 to 6 months, even when the most of the air is squeezed out---C-41 chemicals don't seem to be this strict.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Reportedly refrigerating the developer concentrate is also beneficial. Don't worry about the bleach or fix, room temperature is fine for them.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    They last a very long time. Same goes for the diluted developer. The bottom line is that if it turns what seems "unusually" dark, it's bad.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin