Switch to English Language Passer en langue franšaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,930   Posts: 1,585,333   Online: 1025

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    There's no shadow or highlight loss from the 100 to 3200 shots on the same roll, but the contrast range is more on the tame side, the 100 and 3200 both have thin density ranges and need stretching out once scanned, and are thus quite noisy. The rest are all actually pretty good.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RalphLambrecht View Post
    Point is: it's all in the definition of 'minimum exposure'. One must define what the minimum shadow density should be. For someone like me, it's relatively high, because I like lots of shadow detail (landscape). For others, it does not matter much as long as they get any picture at all (news, forensics, etc). Landscape photographers usually rate their films up to 2/3 stops below box speed. To me, XP2 is no different, but standard C41 processing gives it a rather low average gradient. Hence, the exposure latitude towards the highlights and none towards the shadows.
    Thanks for the chart.

So, if I may para-phase a bit, you seem to be saying "place your shadows where it works for the subject and the highlights will work out." Is that about correct?

I too like lots of shadow detail and, when not using a Holga, I tend to place zone three in some pretty dark spots.

Artistically I simply feel that shadow and mid-tone details always trump highlight details. C-41 though generally gives me both.
    Mark Barendt, Beaverton, OR

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Ana´s Nin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Athiril View Post
    In standard processing,
    Athiril,

In standard (analog) processing, there is no scanner.

Please don't hijack this thread with subjects that are not appropriate on APUG.

Thanks,

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Ana´s Nin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Part of what I was asking here, and probably didn't get across well, was to see if others used C-41 film's latitude in an artistic or novel manner for effect.

How does the latitude affect your artistic decisions?

Do you use exposure to manage your color, contrast, or ... ?

If there is interplay with your enlarger that is important, I'd like to know more about that too.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by markbarendt View Post
    Part of what I was asking here, and probably didn't get across well, was to see if others used C-41 film's latitude in an artistic or novel manner for effect.

How does the latitude affect your artistic decisions?

Do you use exposure to manage your color, contrast, or ... ?
    This brings to mind one shot of mine which had a lot of brightness range... literally into the sun while still hoping to have good detail on a subject with no fill (it was moving, I just couldn't set it up quickly enough). People are probably sick of it but it illustrates some things. The shot was with a fisheye and there was all kinds of flare, but I liked the way the flare connected the sun to the flower and pointed to the sub-subject. I don't think I would have had all the detail and colour of the flare and the rest of the scene without colour neg film. I mean, people think I dodged and burned or something, but it ain't so... just a straight scan. We were talking about this and a wedding photographer who had been accused of photoshop manipulation had some great examples also with fuji pro H colour neg film, I can't remember the thread.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    ...So, if I may para-phase a bit, you seem to be saying "place your shadows where it works for the subject and the highlights will work out." Is that about correct?...
    With C41 and standard processing, pretty much. However, if one chooses to deviate from standard processing, contrast control is possible with C41 as well.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    That is a truly fun shot.

Backlit wedding shots (ala Jose Villa and others) are another place C-41 really stands out too.

Quote Originally Posted by keithwms View Post
    This brings to mind one shot of mine which had a lot of brightness range... literally into the sun while still hoping to have good detail on a subject with no fill (it was moving, I just couldn't set it up quickly enough). People are probably sick of it but it illustrates some things. The shot was with a fisheye and there was all kinds of flare, but I liked the way the flare connected the sun to the flower and pointed to the sub-subject. I don't think I would have had all the detail and colour of the flare and the rest of the scene without colour neg film. I mean, people think I dodged and burned or something, but it ain't so... just a straight scan. We were talking about this and a wedding photographer who had been accused of photoshop manipulation had some great examples also with fuji pro H colour neg film, I can't remember the thread.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Athiril,

In standard (analog) processing, there is no scanner.

Please don't hijack this thread with subjects that are not appropriate on APUG.

Thanks,
    Mark,

Thanks for your concern, but it's not hijacking, its relevant and completely appropriate to the thread.

How else do are you going to show examples on here? Im not discussing scanning technique, I'm discussing density.
    Last edited by Athiril; 12-06-2009 at 05:16 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RalphLambrecht View Post
    With C41 and standard processing, pretty much. However, if one chooses to deviate from standard processing, contrast control is possible with C41 as well.
    I wish there were some good books on colour dark room techniques. I.e. C41 and RA4. I have tried and tried looking for it but have found none.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Athiril,

I want you to participate, I'm just asking that you stay within the intent & context of APUG's rules of discussion and within the intent of the thread's title "Given the exposure latitude of C-41 film..." and the thread's lead question "How do you use it to your advantage?" [The "it" in this sentence refers to C-41 film's latitude]

This thread is not about "scanning" or "density" or how C-41 films compare to E-6 or to any other media, it's about finding out how you and others actually use C-41's latitude.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  Ś   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin