Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,814   Posts: 1,581,606   Online: 805

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    That looks like severe underdevelopment to me, but the color shift is wrong.

You can see the bluish tinge in the color negatives though which is typical of a problem, but an unusual one. I also see low contrast where the original post did not show that very clearly to me.

I guess now that it is either underdevelopment due to low temperature or dilution or time. It might also be bad film. In any event, I am basing this more on contrast now than on the hue of the final image. Did you prewet to bring the processing drum or tank up to 38 deg C? Did you hold it there for the entire 3' 15"?

PE
    Thanks for that.
    Yeah I did a prewet for a good 5mins before starting. A carry-over from my typical B&W process which has always been worthwhile, I've found. In regards to holding the tank at temp, I didn't actually check the temps coming out (I'll have to do this next time too) as I'm not rotating the tank in a waterbath (my kingdom to find a jobo processor here), but the room wasn't exactly cold when developing so I can't picture a large drop off in temps in the space of just over 3mins. Not one to suggest this level of issue anyway, but then maybe I'm being too relaxed about temperature?

Food for thought for another round of developing tonight with some in-date Portra.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Developer temperature with C-41 is critical to within 1/2 deg F or 1/4 deg C.

PE

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    The tetenal kit gives 31c times, I used those rather than the 38/39c times, I didnt get any colour casts, certainly nothing like yours even if I drifted off a degree or 2, which would happen time to time.

From my experience the tetenal kit is quite robust, if its not the film, then something has to have gone really wrong on your end other than being off by a little bit.

My suggestion is you've mixed the part A, B, C of the developer up in the wrong ratios, or you've added them out of order (they do funky stuff and gets precipitate when you do that), add them to the required amount of water rather than mixing the concentrates together then to water.

I mixed mine up as I needed it, rather than all at once as well.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Athiril View Post
    My suggestion is you've mixed the part A, B, C of the developer up in the wrong ratios, or you've added them out of order (they do funky stuff and gets precipitate when you do that), add them to the required amount of water rather than mixing the concentrates together then to water.
    This has me thinking. The ratios were right but I did add the chemicals together than added the water at the end. Seemed harmless at the time but I wonder if it could have been enough to make this happen.

After running another test tonight with a rubbish 4x5 sheet of Portra 160NC and getting a similar result, I'm starting to wonder if that could be it. My developing was done completely in a waterbath that didn't budge off exactly 38C for the whole development cycle, and only fell 1C during the blix cycle. Not a temp issue, I'm beginning to believe.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails not_again.jpg  

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I really don't think it's a temp and or time issue.

I went to answer the door once and couldn't make it back to the "darkroom" on time. The film was in the dev for about 30 sec longer and the temp was probably 3 or 4 degrees off. The images on the roll (Portra 800) ended up being ever so slightly off balance, but was very easily corrected in photoshop and in the enlarger using the filters.

Make sure you mix the chems directly as the instructions say. Last time I checked, the Tetenal kits specifically told you what order to put the mixtures in.

Mix another batch and tell us how it went!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexG View Post
    I really don't think it's a temp and or time issue.
    After tonight's vastly more precise attempt I'm beginning to believe you too. Times were almost second perfect and temps were as bang on as you can get. Also using this sheet of Portra instead of cheap supermarket Superia eliminates the out of date film issue too. Process of elimination points to a chemical issue, to which my mixing the parts before adding the water, as odd as it seems to someone with pretty minimal knowledge of chemicals in general, could very well be the culprit.

I'll be sure to try and build up the courage to run another fresh, properly mixed batch of chems in the next couple of days.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
    This has me thinking. The ratios were right but I did add the chemicals together than added the water at the end. Seemed harmless at the time but I wonder if it could have been enough to make this happen.

After running another test tonight with a rubbish 4x5 sheet of Portra 160NC and getting a similar result, I'm starting to wonder if that could be it. My developing was done completely in a waterbath that didn't budge off exactly 38C for the whole development cycle, and only fell 1C during the blix cycle. Not a temp issue, I'm beginning to believe.
    It's definately an issue if you do it like that, unless you thoroughly mix part A with part B before adding C, and even then I wouldn't do it, try a small fresh batch on 35mm mixed up into water, also much easier to tell when fully mixed

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Was there any oily material in the developer?

Mixing order is critical. You are mixing acids, bases and organic compounds. These must be mixed in a specific order or things can go wrong.

PE

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I've never ever gotten anything near that bad and I'm pretty sure I processed 8 degrees high once. It's got to be a mixing issue.
    Last edited by tiberiustibz; 12-06-2009 at 11:18 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: typo

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tiberiustibz View Post
    I've never ever gotten anything near that bad and I'm pretty sure I processed 8 degrees high once. It's got to be a mixing order issue.
    I agree. I've processed C-41 film and RA-4 paper both high and low (3-4 degrees C) and have never had anything like a signficant problem. The images fell well within "usual" color balancing dichro head settings.

Still might be chance of horribly "fried" film.
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin