Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,699   Posts: 1,482,564   Online: 883

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

C-41 - Where am I going wrong?

Hey guys.

This last week after waiting for a long time to get my hands on some chems, I finally started the journey into developing my own C-41 with a Tetenal Liquid kit. Long story short, I've encountered a hurdle I can't seem to overcome.

Basically I seem to be getting this really odd yellow cast in my images. I've developed 3 rolls so far, and all are the same thing. It's all been cheap supermarket Superia 400, and at first I thought it could have been some of my sloppy B&W techniques carrying over with my first roll, but the more precise I get my temps and times, the more of the same results I get. By the 3rd roll my times were absolutely second perfect, and temps well within 1C. Initially I blixed for the recommended times, but by the 3rd roll I'd gone from 4mins to 6mins and still got more of the same. These 2 sample shots are from the 2nd and 3rd rolls. Top image was clear sunny day, bottom was bright overcast.

Do these issues ring bells to anyone here? I'm really at a loss for where to go now, and a little dejected by the whole process at the moment.

Thanks for any thoughts on this.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails roll2 vs roll3.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I assume that these were scans of the negative, right?

If so, then the negatives are overly blue in color to give a yellow cast to the scan. This is quite unusual in my experience, as it indicates overdevelopment of the cyan and magenta layers, or underdevelopment of the yellow layer. This is a bit hard to do. Usually things go the other way.

In any event, it could also be a bleach problem or a fix problem, but that is very unlikely.

Sorry I don't have a better guess. You sure you didn't leave a filter on the lens?

PE

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    I assume that these were scans of the negative, right?

If so, then the negatives are overly blue in color to give a yellow cast to the scan. This is quite unusual in my experience, as it indicates overdevelopment of the cyan and magenta layers, or underdevelopment of the yellow layer. This is a bit hard to do. Usually things go the other way.

In any event, it could also be a bleach problem or a fix problem, but that is very unlikely.

Sorry I don't have a better guess. You sure you didn't leave a filter on the lens?

PE
    Hah, I really wish it was just a filter being on.

Yeah, these are scans of the negatives. All the reading I've done on trying to resolve this pretty much, as you say, mentions the opposite rather than what's going on here. I had thought of it being a bleach or fix problem too, but after the longer time in the blix third time around and the results being pretty much exactly the same, I was inclined to rule that out. And I was hoping with all your experience you'd have the easy (non-filter) answer too. Do you think it could be a film issue? I'd debated buying some Portra today to try out to see if I got the same issues.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well, I was thinking this over, and it occurs to me that the temperature might be off. Do you have another thermometer? If so, check for high temp. Or, check for proper mixing of the developer. High temp or too concentrated of a developer might just do this. IDK for sure.

PE

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    Well, I was thinking this over, and it occurs to me that the temperature might be off. Do you have another thermometer? If so, check for high temp. Or, check for proper mixing of the developer. High temp or too concentrated of a developer might just do this. IDK for sure.

PE
    Thanks.
    From memory, the measuring of all chemicals was a very deliberate ritual with this so I think I can safely rule that out. I'll run some thermometer comparisons today. Hopefully that's where I went wrong. I might have to buy a nice digital thermometer.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well, here is another thought then. Blix or fix contamination of the color developer might do this as well.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If the negatives look normal compared to others, it could be a scanning problem. Try scanning some known good negatives the same way as these and see if the problem persists.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    My first thought would be to check the scanning process. What scanner was used and was it "set" for a "Color Negative" source?

Offhand, the so-called "orange mask" common to mst CN films appears to have been reproduced faithfully. If this is NOT the case... I would suspect ... "fried film", far, FAR beyond the "expiration date", or in some way stored in a very hostile (read: glove compartment through a New Mexican summer) enviroment.

I'm curious about what did happen.
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Scanning's another thing I've ruled out.
    Two negs side by side, the top one lab developed, the bottom one mine.
    I'll throw in a positive scan to the mix too. I think it's quite telling, but I just don't know what it's telling me
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails the good and the ugly.jpg   the good and the ugly (neg).jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    That looks like severe underdevelopment to me, but the color shift is wrong.

You can see the bluish tinge in the color negatives though which is typical of a problem, but an unusual one. I also see low contrast where the original post did not show that very clearly to me.

I guess now that it is either underdevelopment due to low temperature or dilution or time. It might also be bad film. In any event, I am basing this more on contrast now than on the hue of the final image. Did you prewet to bring the processing drum or tank up to 38 deg C? Did you hold it there for the entire 3' 15"?

PE

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin