Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,302   Posts: 1,536,182   Online: 664
      
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 59
  1. #31
    Athiril's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Melbourne, Vic, Australia
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    2,499
    Images
    28
    Quote Originally Posted by 2F/2F View Post
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Full_stop

    Read what I wrote, not what you think I said. It was most moderate, and was logically and well explained. You are having a hissy fit over nothing.

    Now, again: You have stated twice that this is not a topic for Hybrid Photo dot com. Please explain why it does not belong there. You cannot...because it most certainly would fit right into the pocket there; 100%, no question about it...meaning that it is most certainly a topic for Hybrid Photo dot com. As I said, maybe it belongs on APUG, and maybe not. That is certainly not 100%. Now..this is what I mean when I say to read what I wrote...because if you read what I wrote, you will also see what I did not write...certainly not what you think I wrote. I will ask the question again, and I hope that you take the time to comprehend it this time: How is it NOT a topic for Hybrid Photo dot com?
    Take the time to read my response, the core topic has nothing to do with scanning, that is why.

    Everyone here can understand what the OP means and can respond with suggestions, I dont see why you cant.

    You're suggeswting that it has anything to do with scanning is incorrect, because the OP never meant that, youre failing to understand the what information the OP is after, I have had this problem a lot with photography forums, and generally make try to make my questions abstract as possible to get the information I am after thats useful, otherwise I generally get a "no you cant do that, doesnt exist" in regards to the processing experiments I like to try, or "why do that? just buy this." etc.

    So I can fully feel sympathy for the OP.

    The fact is you're splitting hairs and being ridiculously pedantic over a single word which if it wasn't there would 100% change the context for you, but not for the majority of us here, because we know what the OP means.

    Whats even worse is youre being incorrectly pedantic, as a real pedant I can point out, that, that statement of his intentions and action is not relevant to the question and information he is after.


    The core topic is about film, namely -
    Grain size and sharpness vs enlargement size
    Mixed Lighting response

    These properties do not change with scanning, not that it matters, since the OP was not asking that.

    The core topic is not about:
    scanning, or techniques thereof.



    The core question and information desired does not have anything to do with scanning, but soley desired properties in a film, thus APUG is the place for that and not HybridPhoto.

    If you are continuing to have a problem with that I suggest you contact a moderator, because this is obvious to most of the people that have responded.


    Character assassination and petty digs doesn't belong here but on *chans, so keep that in mind when setting an example for others instead of behaving like that.



    I'll repeat it one more time
    If you are continuing to have a problem with that idea where others dont, then contact a moderator, this discussion is no longer on topic or helpful to the OP.

  2. #32
    2F/2F's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    8,008
    Images
    4
    Oh my God...at this point it is clear that you just cannot understand what I wrote in any way.

    "How is it not a topic for Hybrid Photo dot com?"
    is the question. Just answer it. How is it not a topic for that Website?
    2F/2F

    "Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

    - Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

  3. #33
    Athiril's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Melbourne, Vic, Australia
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    2,499
    Images
    28
    "The core question and information desired does not have anything to do with scanning, but soley desired properties in a film, thus APUG is the place for that and not HybridPhoto."

  4. #34
    2F/2F's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    8,008
    Images
    4
    How is it NOT a topic that would work on THAT Website is the question. NOT why DOES it work here...like I said, that is grey and open for debate.......but why does it NOT work there?

    This is simply going back to your main assertion with which I take issue.

    It went like this:

    1. I said it would be a good question for Hybrid Photo dot com.
    2. You said, no, it would not be.
    3. I am asking (till I am red in the face) why it would not be (because it would be, for sure).

    Perhaps it is Kosher on both Websites...that is not really the argument I am making, nor did I ever. I don't see why you think it does not belong there, but does belong here. It certainly belongs there more than it does here...therefore even if it belongs here, it belongs there.
    Last edited by 2F/2F; 12-08-2009 at 07:22 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    2F/2F

    "Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

    - Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

  5. #35
    markbarendt's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Ignacio, CO, USA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    5,687
    Blog Entries
    3
    Images
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by Athiril View Post
    If you are continuing to have a problem with that I suggest you contact a moderator,
    Done
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

    "We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

  6. #36
    SuzanneR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    5,731
    Images
    139
    The OP's question is appropriate to APUG, and to Hybrid Photo, so let's get the thread back on track, and keep it cordial.

  7. #37
    2F/2F's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    8,008
    Images
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by Athiril View Post
    "The core question and information desired does not have anything to do with scanning, but soley desired properties in a film, thus APUG is the place for that and not HybridPhoto."
    Ah...but he did not "solely" bring up the properties of the film. He mentioned scanning. Since we cannot discuss scanning here, but can discuss it at Hybrid Photo, and we can discuss film at both, would not Hybrid Photo be a good (better?) place to have the question answered in context? The answer is nothing but "yes", due to extremely simple logic. So.....why do you say that the answer is "no, it isn't", if it is obviously "yes, it is"?
    Last edited by 2F/2F; 12-08-2009 at 07:24 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    2F/2F

    "Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

    - Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

  8. #38
    Athiril's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Melbourne, Vic, Australia
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    2,499
    Images
    28
    Quote Originally Posted by 2F/2F View Post
    How is it NOT a topic that would work on THAT Website is the question. NOT why DOES it work here...like I said, that is open for debate.......but why does it NOT work there?

    This is simply going back to your main assertion with which I take issue.

    It went like this:

    1. I said it would be a good question for Hybrid Photo dot com.
    2. You said, no, it would not.
    3. I am asking (till I am red in the face) why it would not.
    If you are going to continue this open a thread in feedback/discussion etc for it.

    I have answered that over and over.

    But it seems you have trouble with sentences that contain more than one idea.

    I'll modify my sentence for you.

    "The core question and information desired does not have anything to do with scanning, but soley desired properties in a film, thus HybridPhoto is not the place for that."


    What HybridPhoto strives for is an archive of the combination of analogue with digital processes, this topic is really just about basic film properties.

    It's not for hybridphoto just because part of the process involves that combination, that would be a separate thread (what scanner for x task, settings, colour correction, digital ice yes no, fluid mount yes no, to sharpen or to not sharpen, worth a drum scan?) etc.

    The current question, has no information of value that would be a use contribution to the body of knowledge on HybridPhoto.

    It would generate information of value to contibute to the body of knowledge on HybridPhoto - but those kind of responses would be focussed on scanning the film etc.



    That is like posting the Rodinal as a colour developer thread on hybridphoto because all of us were checking our results and general density with scanning.

    Or posting something like this on hybridphoto:

    "Hi all,

    I like to scan my film, because scanning is fun and offers new flexibility.

    During one of my processing experiments involving a first developer of rodinal with some additives, then fixing and bleach, re-exposing and using Kodak E6 CD as a colour developer to make a colour negative with a greyish/very pale greenish base, its only using half the histogram of the scanner's range.

    I need to stretch out the density range somehow, will adding table salt as a restrainer help in this regard?

    Or any suggestions on how much of a minute amount of benzotriazole I should add?"


    I'm optimising the film development for the scanner for scanning purposes, this is not a question for HybridPhoto either, it would probably not get answered there that well.

    This is something few could or would try and help and speculate on, PE being one of them.

    Quote Originally Posted by 2F/2F View Post
    Ah...but he did not "solely" bring up the properties of the film. He mentioned scanning. Since we cannot discuss scanning here, but can discuss it at Hybrid Photo, and we can discuss film at both, would not Hybrid Photo be a good (better?) place to have the question answered in context? The answer is nothing but "yes", due to extremely simple logic. So.....why do you say that the answer is "no, it isn't", if it is obviously "yes, it is"?
    Yes he did, this is his question condensed
    "What portrait films are recommended for sharp fine grain 16x16 prints from 6x6cm negatives in mixed lighting conditions?".

    His question doesnt contain the word scanning, a statement did. Which may as well say optical printing, or completely removed, it has no bearing.

    You do not need to discuss scanning at all to be able to completely answer every aspect of information wanted. It wouldn't even be that relevant to even mention scanning in a reply.



    Quote Originally Posted by SuzanneR View Post
    The OP's question is appropriate to APUG, and to Hybrid Photo, so let's get the thread back on track, and keep it cordial.

    My apologies.
    Last edited by Athiril; 12-08-2009 at 07:34 AM. Click to view previous post history.

  9. #39
    MikeSeb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Prospect (Louisville), KY, USA
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    1,062
    Quote Originally Posted by SuzanneR View Post
    The OP's question is appropriate to APUG, and to Hybrid Photo, so let's get the thread back on track, and keep it cordial.
    THANK YOU. Adult supervision definitely need here. Ungracious welcome for a newcomer I'd say.

    You'd think we'd be encouraging anyone who wants to use film rather than quibbling about a hybrid/digital back-end process. If it takes hybrid shooters to keep Kodak et al making film, we shouldn't get exercised at the mere mention of digital when it's not even the primary focus of a question.

    Sheesh.
    Michael Sebastian
    Website | Blog

  10. #40
    Jeff L's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Toronto ON
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    491
    I thought the new colour films out there were made to scan well. I'd shoot Kodak Portra or Fuji without a worry at all.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast


 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin