Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,928   Posts: 1,556,829   Online: 861

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Here is what we are missing at APUG. (It's the latest post, most recent thread on hybridphoto.com.)

http://www.hybridphoto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1631

Do any of you want that discussion here?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Pritchard View Post
    Here is what we are missing at APUG. (It's the latest post, most recent thread on hybridphoto.com.)

http://www.hybridphoto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1631

Do any of you want that discussion here?
    Wow! I just hugged my enlarger!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Nobody's arguing the point that we don't like to carry on about scanners at APUG. And nobody's arguing against this being a site devoted to analogue photography! But to make the O.P feel like he ignited WWIII when in fact this grey issue comes up over and over and over... And every great now and then somebody says a little something about scanning film... a pre-DSLR/photoshop technique used by all of us who actually bother to post in the galleries... and there is this unnecessarily allergic response.

My suggestion is for everybody to just let it go. Some people have hardened and fortified positions and that's just the way it is.

Off to make some 11x14 contact prints...
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mr rusty View Post
    I must say as a newbie here, and a recently returned convert to film, I find this argument quite bizarre...
    That's okay, I'm comfortable with being labeled as quite bizarre.

APUG is centered on traditional photographic processes. Processes like optical enlarging, making inter-positives to make enlarged negatives, contact printing, albumen, tintypes, hand coloring and touch-up, physically dust spotting a negative, chemical toning, blah, blah, blah; we are not just about film.

It is completely possible to follow a traditional photographic path that requires absolutely no electricity, how odd is that?

Hybridphoto.com, in contrast, is about processes that start with film and then go digital. (Much like Fuji suggests.)

Digital processes, including scanning, require learning very different skills to become proficient and a different set of tools to make it work.
    Last edited by markbarendt; 12-08-2009 at 06:42 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Mark Barendt, Beaverton, OR

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by markbarendt View Post
    Hybridphoto.com, in contrast, is about processes that start with film and then go digital.
    It's much more than that, actually. www.hybridphoto.com is an excellent resource for learning about making digital negatives which may start with scanned film or a digital file and then go analogue. I think the most interesting thing on the hybrid forum is reading about people using handcoated processes with digital negs, including multilayer prints from digital separations.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb View Post
    It's much more than that, ...
    Well put!

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    we are not just about film
    No, of course not, and there are dedicated forums for all the different processes. And I accept that this board is not the place to talk about the merits/use of software, scanners etc.

However, it is a fact that virtually all new or re-converts to film are not going to leap straight in with a fully wet process, myself included. I want to shoot film, discuss camera repairs, talk about exposure & lighting, but the fact remains for my circumstance I send my film to be developed by someone else. Sometimes I just get prints, sometimes a CD as well. I am also interested to know which films scan best, which isn't a discussion about scanners, but about film!

If this board is going to attract and keep new people who will, once they have been made welcome and feel that they will get something out of it, reach the point where they want to actually subscribe, it has to accept that there is a crossover.

At the moment I am wondering whether subscription is a good idea, or whether this is a closed group. I support the film manufacturers by buying film, but perhaps this board is just *too* analogue to meet my requirements. Seems a bit crazy to turn off potential subscribers, but there you go!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    ......I send my film to be developed by someone else. Sometimes I just get prints, sometimes a CD as well. I am also interested to know which films scan best, which isn't a discussion about scanners, but about film!
    ...and as already pointed out, that would be a really good topic to bring up at the APUG affiliated site, www.hybridphoto.com.

Quote Originally Posted by mr rusty
    If this board is going to attract and keep new people who will, once they have been made welcome and feel that they will get something out of it, reach the point where they want to actually subscribe, it has to accept that there is a crossover.
    Yes, I think we all accept that...we just don't talk about it here.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    However, it is a fact that virtually all new or re-converts to film are not going to leap straight in with a fully wet process, myself included. I want to shoot film, discuss camera repairs, talk about exposure & lighting, but the fact remains for my circumstance I send my film to be developed by someone else. Sometimes I just get prints, sometimes a CD as well. I am also interested to know which films scan best, which isn't a discussion about scanners, but about film!
    I too send out some work, typically for weddings and the like.

I too thought I needed to know something about scanning and the best film for scanning to get good results.

What I found was that I needed to know the lab. The specific people doing the scan; their professionalism, skill, and attitude, is a bigger wild-card than the film will ever be.

A fair number of Pro-labs even specify specifically what films they will deal with because they don't have the experience needed to do other films, other Pro-labs can and will do a good job with any film.

The limiting factor for quality here is not the film, it's the people doing the scan.

I don't believe anyone at APUG is trying to police what people do or say outside the forum. Yes, we all know there is crossover, and that there are many people here in this community that scan as a regular part of their workflow and we accept that.

That doesn't mean that scanning is a topic we are interested in talking about as a community. The http://www.hybridphoto.com/forums/home.php community, our sister site, is interested in that topic.

At the moment I am wondering whether subscription is a good idea, or whether this is a closed group. I support the film manufacturers by buying film, but perhaps this board is just *too* analogue to meet my requirements. Seems a bit crazy to turn off potential subscribers, but there you go!
    I have an auto mechanic that works on my Prius, all he works on is Japanese cars, gotta take my Eurovan to a different guy who just does European cars.

Those businesses are essentially "closed groups". They are better at what they do because of it. I "subscribe" to both of their communities because I need what they each provide.

APUG isn't meant to be the Wal-Mart of photo info. Subscribe at http://www.hybridphoto.com/forums/home.php if that fits you better.

Come by and visit APUG regularly too, there is lots to learn here even for people who scan.
    Last edited by markbarendt; 12-09-2009 at 06:57 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin