Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,666   Posts: 1,481,710   Online: 709

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format

Ektachrome with Rodinal & C41?

I've got a 35mm bulk loader, with film in it, labeled: EASTMAN EKACHROME TUNGSTEN - ASA 125. I loaded some into a cassette and plan to shoot it.

I do not have E6 chemistry on hand. I want to process this myself, and do not want to order more chemistry and wait for it. My goal is to have fun and create some neat images. What can I do with what I have?

Chemistry on hand:
    1. Flexicolor C41 chemistry
    2. E-6 bleach
    3. E-6 final rinse
    4. Rodinal
    5. T-Max developer
    6. Fixer, Stop, PhotoFlo, etc.

I could just use this old film to make black & white images, but some form of color would be neat. Any ideas?

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Your process would be Rodinal, expose to light, develop in c41 developer to completion (hold it at 100 degrees for 6 minutes or so), bleach, fix, final rinse. You'll have to fiddle with times and temps and figure out your dilution for the right activity. It's normally 6-7 minutes at 100 degrees for the first developer. Try different dilutions until your slides look good. I think rodinal activates a little bit of the dyes so you might want to try something else to get good whites.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    would c-41 bleach and fix work too?

hc-110 ok? I'm interested in trying this myself too

-Dan

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I was under the impression it would work. The two bleaches have different specifications. E6 bleach is an older type, and supposedly more concentrated. I think you could use it though just make sure you bleach to completion.

I assume so. I think the dye activation property of rodinal is very unusual.

Shooter
    35mm
    I actually tried something similar recently, roll of Provia 100f. I used Diafine as a first dev, exposed to light, then developed in C-41. What came out the far end were really dense slides, they looked about 2 or 3 stops underexposed. The colours were surprisingly all right (bit of a blueish cast) and they scanned reasonably well.

I think the general consensus is that the first B&W dev has to be pretty active. Diafine just didn't do the trick, I reckon its nominal speed for C-41 or E-6 is probably a couple of stops slower for a start. I'm going to bracket the next roll +1 +2 and maybe try and develop half of it twice in diafine and half the once and see what happens.

Some results are here:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/dairequ...7622874269697/

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Daire, I am impressed with your results. This is very encouraging. It's nice to see that someone actually has done this with good results.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've done this with Acufine as the first developer. I used a C-41 kit for the rest of the process, to get a color neg. Worked well, great looking grain.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    ASA 125 Tungsten sounds like VNF, an old film used for news shows. I don't know whether it was produced in 35mm, but I don't know of any other 125 ASA Ektachrome film. If it is, it requires VNF processing, which is different than E-6, although I don't know how different.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    now when re-exposing to the light, do you have to make sure the source is daylight balanced, or does it not matter?

and how long to re-expose? like, take it off the spool, hold it up to a light, and re-load onto the reel?

-Dan

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    If you're just trying it out I think taking the reel out of the tank in somewhat bright light should be fine. IT doesn't have to be particularly accurate, though there is such thing as too much re-exposure. Don't worry about it when starting off. I do remember that your first developer has to be fairly long. Much longer than typical b+w films.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin