Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,926   Posts: 1,585,103   Online: 850

JLP
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Storage of Kodak Supra Endura paper

Was doing a little search on the subject but did not find any hard data.

Does anyone have any experience with storage of RA-4 color paper and in particular Supra Endura. I am planning on stocking up and freezing the paper but if it doesn't store well there would be no point in buying to much.

Thanks.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Jan;

I believe that there are several good threads on this with some conflicting data.

My tests show that the current Supra Endura has the best keeping of all of the recent RA papers from Kodak. I have kept it on my shelf in the DR for 1 year with little or no change. Compared to Supra III, that older paper lost over a stop in red speed and my prints required about 0.3 more red filtration.

My DR is kept at about 68 F and 50 - 70% RH year round.

PE

JLP
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    PE, Would it not extend the shelf life to freeze the paper?
    I was thinking of buying enough for at least a few years supply but if it does not store well for that long it would be a waste. On the other hand if it prints well and just need a change in filtration it would be fine.

Thanks..

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Freezing or refrigeration extends the shelf life of all photographic materials.

PE

Shooter
    Medium Format
    On my current package of Supra Endura, it`s written to keep it between 5C and 25C. So, I follow those recommendation by keeping them at room temperature. I wonder if there can be a problem with freezing the material. If not, why this statement on the package.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well Kodak's data sheet gives warm up times from -18C, which is just 2 degrees warmer than my deep freeze.

Technically speaking, paper or film is only refrigerated at -18C as there is not supposed to be any liquid in it that can freeze.

JLP
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thank you all for commenting. Will take the chance, buy some and see how it ages.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Kodak professional claims two years past date of manufacture. If your eyesight is still good you'll notice changes in paper-base white in as little as six months. Subtle, but definitely there.

Why are you stockpiling now? Are you printing from rolls? Kodak claims that they will continue with the old Supra in sheets. But then again, we all know how that goes, right?

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by frotog View Post
    Kodak professional claims two years past date of manufacture. If your eyesight is still good you'll notice changes in paper-base white in as little as six months. Subtle, but definitely there.

Why are you stockpiling now? Are you printing from rolls? Kodak claims that they will continue with the old Supra in sheets. But then again, we all know how that goes, right?
    "Into 2010" could mean about 13 more days.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by tiberiustibz View Post
    "Into 2010" could mean about 13 more days.
    The bastards! They wouldn't...

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin