Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,295   Posts: 1,535,614   Online: 1093

Shooter
    35mm Pan
    Images

Color film as BW

Hi All,

i know that old kodachrome film can be developed as BW, but does anyone knows if old ektachrome (commercial) can be also developed as BW? Many thanks!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yes, and for your info, the first developer in reversal process is a B&W developer.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    It is possible to develop any silver based film as black and white. They may not look good, but you can do so.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    why would you want to? surely b&w film is cheaper and looks better, or am I missing something..?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I accidentally sent some c-41 film into the lab one time, thinking it was b/w. oops .

came back as b/w color negs. scanned ok. contrast was really high though, highlights/shadows totally blocked up. I wouldn't recommend it though. If you want b/w from color film, the Ilford XP2 Super/ Kodak BW400CN are nice films, and print nicely. if you print b/w only(on b/w papers), the XP2 would be the better choice, since there isn't the orange mask. With the BW400CN, there's the traditional orange mask. the kodak one is flatter in most cases from what I've found.

for b/w only though, I'd personally rather shoot real b/w. unless you don't dev your own film/take it to a lab.

-Dan

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin