Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,317   Posts: 1,536,763   Online: 1053

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

How to display large format slides

I've been wanting to start shoting large format for some time now, and I think I'm about to take the dive. I shot 35mm slides in my color photography class and found looking at slides in a dark room to be rather addictive. Perhaps I'm fascinated because slides are new to me (it's all been black and white prints and prints of scanned of color negatives until recently).

I would like to shoot some large format slides when I finally find enough money to buy a large format camera. I'm just not sure of the best way to display large format slides. I've seen 4x5 slide projectors on ebay, and I'm sure there are 8x10 slide projectors out there (if not please correct me ).

At a chinese resturaunt in or near Anniston, Alabama, there was a big picture framed on a wooden box that hung on the wall (the picture was likw 2feet x 3feet, if i remember correctly). Within the box was a light that illuminated the picture (perhaps frame is a better term than box). Was that a framed slide? If so, where would I get a frame like that or where can I find out how to make it myself?
    "I have captured the light and arrested its flight! The sun itself shall draw my pictures!"

-Louis Daguerre, 1839-

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    What you saw in the restaurant was most likely an Ilfochrome (Cibachrome). It's basically slide film (in that it is a positive process) but it's designed to be printed to instead of directly exposed in-camera. You shoot whatever slide and develop it, put it in your enlarger and put Ilfochrome under the enlarger. It can be displayed on a lightbox as you saw, or viewed reflectively like a normal print.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Thanks Polyglot. Ilfochrome came to mind the first time I saw it, but I've never seen an Ilfochrome before (At least I didnt realize I saw one), so I didnt know.
    "I have captured the light and arrested its flight! The sun itself shall draw my pictures!"

-Louis Daguerre, 1839-

Shooter
    35mm
    Kodak makes transparent Endura RA4 materials.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    As said before, Ilfochrome is available as a transparency material, as is Kodak Duratrans for RA-4. Both come as large rolls meant to be used in a lightjet or lambda machine from a digital file, and both are available with a clear support for light boxes that have their own diffuser, or with a translucent white support for lightboxes without a built in diffuser. Several artists, such as Jeff Wall and Thomas Struth have their prints made on these materials and backlit for display in galleries or museums. They shoot large format, scan the film and have it printed and mounted in the box elsewhere. You can use either of these materials at home, but since they are only sold in rolls, it is pricey.
    www.gregorytdavis.com

Did millions of people suddenly disappear? This may have an answer.

"No one knows that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father." -Matthew 24:36

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    That was likely an RA ("type C" or "chromogenic") print made on transparent film, though it could have been an Ilfochrome ("type R" or "dye destruction") print on the same sort of material, as both types are available. The RA is much more common; available from any pro lab, while only a few labs still do Ifochrome printing. To my knowledge, both are still available in either crystal clear or diffusion-base versions.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Davis View Post
    As said before, Ilfochrome is available as a transparency material, as is Kodak Duratrans for RA-4.
    Also Agfa still offers RA-4 clear base material (only 10" wide though).

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    A restaurant would be much more likely to use something like Duratrans print film (meaning a negative film designed for precisely such displays) than Ilfochrome transparency, which is more expensive and much less common.

Occasionally I've displayed 8x10" transparencies temporarily using a thin Logan light pad, which is designed for such use.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by AgX View Post
    Also Agfa still offers RA-4 clear base material (only 10" wide though).
    Where do they market it? It's not sold at B&H.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Agfa decided to get rid of their "consumer imaging" branch and so they did in 2004, so they won't sell anything via B&H and such but they still have their different "industrial" ranges and there you find this 10" film/sheets in their "aerial" range (Avitone CP 94).

The other materials named above are probably more easy to get, but I wanted to hint at the fact that there still is some variety on the market

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin