Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,206   Posts: 1,531,863   Online: 997

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

ILFORD XP2 Super base colour

I'm not sure what the correct forum is for discussing XP2 Super, but I'll post here as its process C-41. Is ILFORD XP2 Super supposed to exhibit a purple base colour? The film is clear in as much as fixed and washed correctly, and the negatives print normally on ILFORD MGIV.

Tom

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sounds about right, yes it does have quite a colour to it's base, as did older versions but they all print normally unlike the dog of a film Agfa Vario (long discontinued)

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks Ian. Care to elaborate on Agfa Vario?

Tom

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It came out just before XP1, it was Agfa's version but in terms of grain, contrast usability it was awful, it didn't last long before it quietly disappeared. I have some negs still back in the UK.

XP1 was so much better and just what I needed shooting rock concerts etc, XP1 & XP-2 push process very well, fine grain & great tonality, but Ilford took the recommended time of the Datasheet when XP-2 was released because they wanted it fully C41 compatable, XP1 was but needed a longer dev time than colour films.

Ian

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The "Agfapan Vario XL" was marketed quite differently than its Ilford successors.
    Whereas Ilford offered their XP's as monochrome films to be processed as C-41, the Vario XL was offered primarily as a multispeed film, one film for all kind of exposure situations.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    That's how XP-1 was marketed as well in it's early days, actually Ilford sold a processing kit. Labs didn't like it as it needed uprated processing and only Ro labs knew how to handle it. It was only with the introduction of XP-2 that Ilford really pushed the C41 compatibility.

Ian

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Seems I forgot about the XP-1 marketing. Have to dive into old broshures...

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by AgX View Post
    Seems I forgot about the XP-1 marketing. Have to dive into old broshures...
    I thought XP1 was a c-41 film, but the chemistry kits were basically c-41 double diluted?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    XP-1 was processable in C41 chemistry but it wasn't fully compatible because for optimum results it needed a longer development time, most small labs couldn't handle that.

I've no idea whether the Ilford XP-1 developer was more dilute, I don't think so but it was expensive compared to Photocolor II which I already used, I still have the original datasheets back in the UK, I was reading them about 3 weeks ago.

Ian

Shooter
    35mm
    I used a lot of Agfa's Vario-XL in 120, when it first came out. On the boxes it gave a speed range up to 1600 ASA, but I always used them at 400. The film never struck me as particularly stable. The colour of the actual image on the processed negatives varied a great deal from blue to a purple-ish colour, irrespective of whether I had them developed by a lab or did them myself in C41. Worse still, I found even after just a couple of years the colours were changing, and not particularly evenly. As I never had cause to reprint any, I've no idea whether they were still printable. I ended up with a large quantity of the films which I never used, as I was unsure of the stability. There are probably a few rolls at the bottom of the freezer even now!

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin