Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,701   Posts: 1,548,419   Online: 1053

Shooter
    35mm

Kodak 100G as portrait film

I recently tried this film for a few portraits. Seems to me to be an ideal film for this application. I had the film scanned, with the idea of making prints, but now I'm wondering if there's a place that can do optical prints from the E-6 645 originals. Anyone know a good lab for this?

Sample...

In life you only get one great dog, one great car, and one great woman. Pet the dog. Drive the car. Make love to the woman. Don't mix them up.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    You can get a cibachrome done, but its very expensive. You could probably find someone who would make optical RA4s from an interneg but i don't know much about that.

I think there used to be an entire thread with places you could get cibachromes done.

At the end of the day, as much as it hurts to say this, your probably better off with a digital C - print then a $60 8x10.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    A lot depends on the photographer. Some people can use it very successfully, for others it would be a problem. If the example is typical, you control lighting ratios well and you depend on bright color and color contrast. 100G would be good for you. I'm less disciplined about lighting and look more for subtle color and image contrasts. For me, something like Portra 160NC would work better.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    if I were you, I'd just get some nice scans done, and then get some nice c-prints done at costco, or your local pro-lab. somewhere that runs a somewhat calibrated process.

but if money is no object, then try a cibachrome. they're very nice. NOT for everything, but for the right applications(the printer you'd go to for the print, unless you do it yourself), they could recommend if a cibachrome would be the best thing for the results you'd be wanting.

but for the cost of the ciba/ilfochrome, you could get the scan+MANY nice 8x10/11x14 prints done.

but as a portrait film, E100G is great. IF you like shooting slides . I like shooting chrome for some things, especially if the contrast is lower, say, open shade, or later in the day, with diffused sunlight. works quite nicely. for pretty much everything else though, I'd shoot portra, just for the pure latitude of it.

the 160nc is very similar in color palette to the e100g. but of course scanning and PS, you can do pretty much anything. but to get it right in the film, shooting negs might give you more "meat" to work with.

my $.02

-Dan

Shooter
    35mm RF
    E100G, with studio strobes, was popular for fashion photography. It's higher contrast than color negative films, so you do need to watch your lighting ratios. The colors are very accurate with strobe light, or in open sun. (Goes blue in open shade, which is accurate but annoying.)

Prints -- scanning first is the only practical route. The E series Ektachromes were designed to scan well.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Looks pretty nice to me. A good place for Ilfochromes is Visual Imaging because they do nice work at the best price I have ever seen. The only downside is that in my experience they have taken up to a month to get some stuff back. http://www.visual-imaging.com/ Well it might not be exactly what you want I think scanning will be the best way. This is a super film for scanning. This what I have been working with for 120 color lately. I like it.
    Helping to save analog photography one exposure at a time

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin