Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,228   Posts: 1,532,707   Online: 710

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Oren Grad View Post
    It depends how much you care about your knees and your back. You'll be bouncing up and down with every step in the process, and color tends to have very short process steps. Draining the tempering bath with the unit sitting on the floor would be a nuisance - the spigot is on one end of the "tub", at the bottom.
    Floor is not a good option in this case. Thanks.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by B&Wpositive View Post
    Ok, so someone has a Jobo CPP2 available and I'm trying to decide if it's practical for me or not. here is my situation:
    Are you planning to develop both prints and film in the processor, or just film?

If you are only processing film, and are not doing anything bigger than 4x5 inch film, then photo-therm is probably a better choice than Jobo... better quality instrument and easier to use. Plus, photo-therm is still in the business of selling processors.

Sometimes you can find a photo-therm on ebay for a few hundred dollars. I actually picked on up for about $100, but that was an almost unheard of low price. You are probably looking at $500-$1000 in most cases at the auction site. The brand-new price is a few thousand dollars.

However, if you can get the Jobo for a good price then it might be worth a shot.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by alanrockwood View Post
    However, if you can get the Jobo for a good price then it might be worth a shot.
    There is no price, if you know what I mean.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There is no price, if you know what I mean.
    In that case I think you should go for it.

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks to everyone for all the advice.

In the end, I decided to focus my attention on black and white, so I will not be using a Jobo.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Is sheet film in your future plans? I only do B&W because I am 85% color blind. I started using the Jobo when I had a volume of MF and was moving to 4x5. Now I only do 8x10 (100 sheets a year) and 7x17 (250 sheets a year) and love the Jobo CPP-2. If you think that down the road you might go this direction I would grab the Jobo and store it until you are ready. They don't get stale with age. As a matter of fact since they are no longer sold new in the US (I think) grabbing it while it is free is GOOD. I got a spare that way.

I use Rollo Pyro developer from Bostick & Sullivan. I use the Jobo in an 8 foot sink with hot, cold running water and a drain. I go through a lot of fluid. I use the larger Expert tanks. In the process I have a 500ml of prewash, then 1300ml developer, two 750ml rinses, 500ml fixer, two quick 750ml rinses and ten changes 750ml of water rinse. Just to be sure all is clean of fixer I then fill the tanks twice and dump. Gallons. You definitely want plumbing and a sink or drain for this. Empty the unit is less than 20 pounds. I take it out of the sink and store it on a cart. Then I can use the sink for processing sheets of print paper in trays.

John Powers

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Thanks to everyone for all the advice.

In the end, I decided to focus my attention on black and white, so I will not be using a Jobo.
    WOW, I have desperately trying to find a backup for my machine, is this available??..Evan Clarke

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by alanrockwood View Post
    >SNIP
    If you are only processing film, and are not doing anything bigger than 4x5 inch film, then photo-therm is probably a better choice than Jobo... better quality instrument and easier to use. Plus, photo-therm is still in the business of selling processors.
    SNIP<

>SNIP
    As far as I know Jobo is still making and selling Processors(CPP2+). I have a CPE 2+ with lift that I have been using regularly for B&W film processing lately. Apart from the comfort of not having to time agitation schemes and doing the agitation by hand it is saving both chemistry and water. Not having running water in my darkroom I prefer it to manual agitation using a lot more water and chemistry which I have to carry in and out. Also the jobo drums are really great although somewhat expensive. They are built modular and the internals are interchangeable between the current series (1500, 2500 and 2800) so with only a couple of tanks you have a lot of possibilities. The 1500 series and 2800 series paperdrums are actually not that expensive so in fact......
    Best regards
    Send from my Electronic Data Management Device using TWOFingerTexting

Technology distinquishable from magic is insufficiently developed

Søren Nielsen
    Denmark

Shooter
    35mm
    I think that Soeren has summed up the advantages of a CPP2 processor very well, even for B&W. It's worth reading his post or reading it again if you have glanced at it.

The Jobo is very versatile. I'd think again about your decision if I were in your shoes. If you do get it then place it on a bench at waist level. It really isn't practical to use it on the floor, even if your body joints are all in top condition. A simple syphon will empty it until that point at which the remaining water is sufficiently small to allow it to be lifted and the remainder poured out

pentaxuser

Shooter
    35mm
    I received a very helpful email from someone, and it explained why the Jobo is not well-suited to b&w processing. As someone who does not intend to do color in the near future, if ever, there is little practical advantage.

And I have no running water in the basement! Trays are not much of a problem to handle in this situation.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin