Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,206   Posts: 1,531,851   Online: 932

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by B&Wpositive View Post
    I received a very helpful email from someone, and it explained why the Jobo is not well-suited to b&w processing. As someone who does not intend to do color in the near future, if ever, there is little practical advantage.
    Check John Sexton, he does all his B&W in Jobo, also Howard Bond...Evan Clarke

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I've owned just about all the Jobo CPXX models, and now have the ATL2+. There is really no downside to a Jobo as far as I'm concerned, provided it's in good condition. Just about all the parts are available if you look hard enough. My enlarger and ATL are essentials in my darkroom, and I only develop B&W. It makes processing a breeze and keeps everything consistent from batch to batch. I also do all my printing (except toning) in the ATL. I can print from postcards up to 20x24 with amazing easy. I can't recommend them enough

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I find the Jobo a huge advantage for B&W sheet film. Were I only developing small quatities of 120 or 35mm its usefulness would still outweigh its disadvantages. For me, that is. I don't think it is possible to make blanket statements about any system being right or not right for processing--that's something you have to decide for yourself.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Pasto View Post
    I've owned just about all the Jobo CPXX models, and now have the ATL2+. There is really no downside to a Jobo as far as I'm concerned, provided it's in good condition...
    Quote Originally Posted by AmandaTom View Post
    I find the Jobo a huge advantage for B&W sheet film. Were I only developing small quatities of 120 or 35mm its usefulness would still outweigh its disadvantages...
    While such a processor has some obvious advantages, it denies you a usefull control in BW processing: agitation.

Remember, the OP isn't interested in C41, or E6.
    Last edited by Anon Ymous; 12-22-2009 at 12:27 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Agitation is a variable that can be controlled with the Jobo. The ATL2+ has 4 different rotation speeds. Having said all that, of course the machine has limits. I try to keep development as simple and consistent as possible. In the end, it matches perfectly with the way I like to work in the darkroom. It may not be everyone's cup of tea....

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    No real downside, partcularly since it's free. A CPP2 will have great utility for someone without access to a full darkroom sink, even if only processing B&W. Terrific for E6, incidentally, so you'll not have any difficulty turning a buck on it should you decide it's not your preferred way to work. Might also mention that if it has one, the Lift can be a most useful accessory but it's quite a bit vulnerable when moving (suggest disassembly of the lift arm from the unit).

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I have ended up using developers that work well with the Jobo, and adjusting my methods of shooting accordingly. I am willing to do this because the other tanks I have used (HP Combi and Yankee) don't do nearly so good a job with sheet film. If I want Diafine-type results, I use Acufine instead, which works fine in this unit. But I have not been in many circumstances in which xtol or D-76 won't do the job. My methods are not sophisticated or complicated enough that agitation control rules out the use of the Jobo. Even night photos, which I used to develop using a semi-stand method, I now subject to a version of the zone system and get better results with constant agitation. But again, it is what I am willing to do, and I say it just to show that it is possible.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Anon Ymous View Post
    While such a processor has some obvious advantages, it denies you a usefull control in BW processing: agitation.

Remember, the OP isn't interested in C41, or E6.
    Hmm Agitation is just one variable. The others are: Dev type, Dev concentration, Time, Temp and film + exposure. I'd say its only a big deal if you are using the zone system or really into stand development. There is an article somewhere in cyberspace on agitation schemes and sharpness. IIRC there is not that much difference from hand agitation to constant agitation that you will notice. And using a jobo does not prevent you from using other methods when you feel the need.
    Best regards
    Send from my Electronic Data Management Device using TWOFingerTexting

Technology distinquishable from magic is insufficiently developed

Søren Nielsen
    Denmark

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by B&Wpositive View Post
    I received a very helpful email from someone, and it explained why the Jobo is not well-suited to b&w processing. As someone who does not intend to do color in the near future, if ever, there is little practical advantage.

And I have no running water in the basement! Trays are not much of a problem to handle in this situation.
    Please read my post "18" again. I have no running water in my darkroom and thats exactly one of the major advantages of the jobo. I do not need as much water or chemistry for each dev session as I would with my Paterson tanks. Yes the jobo needs some water before its operational but if you use demineralised water you can have it standing for over 2 months before you have to change it. In that tim I have done over 25 films, some 6 at a time filling only a 5L can. 2 films may take as little as 250-300ml and 6 films 850ml.
    Using the paterson 2 films requires at least 600ml.
    Best regards
    Send from my Electronic Data Management Device using TWOFingerTexting

Technology distinquishable from magic is insufficiently developed

Søren Nielsen
    Denmark

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Soeren View Post
    As far as I know Jobo is still making and selling Processors(CPP2+). I have a CPE 2+ with lift that I have been using regularly for B&W film processing lately.
    Jobo does not appear to be selling the film processors in the USA any more. B&H Photo carries seven pages of Jobo accessories, even pieces parts for the film processors, but no film processors such as CPP-2 mentioned in the OP. I did not see that the OP said where he is located, but he has a benefactor with a used CPP-2.

John Powers

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin