Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,301   Posts: 1,536,098   Online: 855

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

Got a slide projector for Christmas!

My mom got me a slide projector for Christmas. It was the slide projector that she used at the jewelry store where she works. It has the name "JC Penny 500" on the handle. IT uses a Kodak slide tray. the lens says "KEYTAR LENS" on the top and "COATED 4IN f:3.5 ANASTIGMAT" on the bottom.

Does anyone know who made this projector? Could it be a low end rebranded kodak projector?
    Last edited by Existing Light; 12-25-2009 at 03:20 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    "I have captured the light and arrested its flight! The sun itself shall draw my pictures!"

-Louis Daguerre, 1839-

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    BTW, I did a little playing with it earlier. The prjections look pretty good from the little tinkering I did. I had to project it against a moss green wall in the living room because I dont have a screen to project it on, so I'm sure that'll affect my judgement a little bit. I'm going to tape a piece of white computer paper to the wall and project on that and study the projections a bit more. Im sure that projector and lens will be fine for me for a while, but i'm curious to see the sharpness and contrast and such up close
    "I have captured the light and arrested its flight! The sun itself shall draw my pictures!"

-Louis Daguerre, 1839-

Shooter
    Medium Format
    You should be able to pick up a decent projector screen from flea markets for a few bucks. I have got a few of them. But I only keep the better one. Now I have one that is really nice.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    or do you have a white wall in your house? if its bright white enough, you might not have to get the screen . a friend of mine got some mild silver paint, and mixed that in with the white that he sprayed onto the walls of his office. he and his wife look at their slides projected straight onto the wall straight out. the little bit of silver helps give a bit more "pop" to the image, kinda like a movie screen(aka "the silver screen")

nice present!

-Dan

Shooter
    35mm
    You could also try tacking up a white bedsheet. The only hard part here is making sure that it is flat on the wall and wrinkle-free.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Thanks for the replies. I dont have a white wall but I do have white bedsheets. I'll give that a try.

Just for fun I projected a slide on to a sheet of 8.5x11 white paper taped to the wall. The image projected on the wall was about 11x14in.. Even at 11x14, the projection looked rather soft when I got close to the wall. It looked ok standing just behind the projector. I did have to manually focus it because the focuser on the remote doesnt work. Is the lens that came with it a cheapie lens or am I just that bad at focusing a projector?

-Louis Daguerre, 1839-

Shooter
    35mm
    It is difficult to say whether the lens is a 'cheapie'. Stores like JC Penney's and Sears often rebranded equipment from other manufacturers. So this projector could be anything from a cheapo off-brand model to a top of the line Kodak. But there are other factors which could be leading to a soft image. Maybe the projector is just too close to the wall to focus. If you find that the focusing knob is turned to the limit (but you still don't have a sharp image), then this could very well be the case. Of course, it is also possible that the slide you are projecting is soft. Sometimes, you really don't know this sort of thing until you either scan or project. If you haven't already done so, try projecting another slide to see if you get a sharper image.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Was this projector set up to play thru a small view screen that looks like a tv set? You did say your mom used it at a jewelery shop. You may need to find a different lens for it, if you plan on large projections. Also, the lamp watage may be low as well, to avoid heat build-up. I remember seeing those types of sales devices in shops years ago, and they were all small, and not designed to project onto a large screen. Maybe your mother could get the projection [box] that was used with it.

Rick

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Perhaps the slide is just soft. I didnt think about that, but that's actually quite possible with me I'll compare asap. The projection looks decent, but still a bit soft, when standing behind the projector, and very soft when I move to about a foot away from the projection. I'll compare with other slides to make sure.

BTW, the projector was far enough away. When I first set it up, I turned the focus knob all the way one way. When I focused, I turned the knob till it was in focus and turned it slightly more to throw it out of focus then turned it slightly back to bring the projection in focus.

Just for fun, I also aligned the projector with the wall using my enlarger aligner

I'm not sure if it was made to project through one of those tv screen things. I've seen pictures of them, but cant remember the name for them I'll find out if they used one of those. If they dont have one, I might be able to find one on ebay.

This may end up being a temporary slide projector until I can afford one of those Leica or Hasselblad projetors

-Louis Daguerre, 1839-

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    There were a variety of slide projectors that used the Kodak carousel tray. Kodak did not private-label its photographc slide projectors.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin