Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,971   Posts: 1,558,563   Online: 1146

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

cheap rolls of Kodak Edge paper on that auction site

I don't have any affiliation with this seller but a guy has 610' rolls of Kodak Edge glossy for what seems really cheap.

I realize this stuff is thinner base but I'm wondering if anyone has used this stuff and if so, what you think of it.

I'd have to make a jig for cutting it in the dark but that shouldn't be too hard.

I'm hoping the thinner stock lets you deal with the curl from the roll esier?

Anyone like this paper or is it contact sheet/work print material?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    the paper flattens out

I haven't bought the edge, but the Fuji CA, and it was fine. nice too, cause I like the 10x12 paper size, and cutting those down from 12" or 10" rolls is sooooooooooooooo convenient, rather than buying cut sheets, which are IMPOSSIBLE to find from Fuji, even though they're supposedly cut :mad.

its a great way to get some money savings though.

just be aware that the exposure times for the roll papers are generally shorter, like 1/2 the time or less, so be forewarned....

-Dan

Shooter
    Large Format
    Ask seller for the emulsion code #, call kodak professional (800) 242-2424 ext. 19 and have them date the paper. If the manufacture date is any older than 12/2008 I'd pass if I were you.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The emulsion/date label is pictured on the auction page. It hasn't expired yet.
    Date is 5/2010

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I don't know if I bought from the same seller, but I bought rolls of that paper in F and E surface, about 6 months ago. I cut it with a paper cutter under the Kodak recommended safelight (you can sort of see what you are doing after a few minutes). The emulsion is exposed to the safelight for about 10 seconds.

I have run through a few hundred sheets of the stuff and I am very pleased with it. It is on a much thinner base compared to Endura, but sits flat in the easel and processes well in a rotary tube. The exposures run about the same as Endura. I haven't been doing colour for very long, so I am not much of a judge when it comes to which paper is better or worse in one way or another. I can say that friends who look at my prints from a medium format on 8X10, can't tell the difference between Endura Supra and Edge.

I cut up about three hundred 8X10s from each roll and put the rolls in the freezer.
    Rick Jason.
    "I'm still developing"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks Rich,
    I saw you mention some experience with this paper but couldn't find your exact post.
    Im sure it's higher contrast than Endura being a consumer paper but will be fine for contact sheets and subjects other than softer portraiture.

I'm in the process of mounting a color head on my old Omega DII so it will give me some cheap paper to get to know this setup even though I have some limited color optical printing experience with a Beseler.

It was too cheap to pass up so now I'll have to burn some up before summer rolls back around and I have to find a cooler place to store it all.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Good thing they're got 21 rolls listed or this would be an all out war.
    --Nicholas Andre

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Is this regular old RA-4 process paper that's cheap enough I can experiment and learn?
    Michael Batchelor
    Industrial Informatics, Inc.
    www.industrialinformatics.com

The camera catches light. The photographer catches life.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelbsc View Post
    Is this regular old RA-4 process paper that's cheap enough I can experiment and learn?
    Yup. Edge is designed for labs that want to run digital exposure and analog printing using the same paper for handling and processing sake. That means it's designed for analog printing, a rare occurrence in today's market.
    --Nicholas Andre

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Michael,
    Ektacolor Edge is a thinner base consumer grade RA-4 paper that is designed for BOTH printing directly from a negative with an optical enlarger and printing from digital files with various digital printing systems (frontier/noritsu etc).

It would indeed be a good choice for non critical work and who knows it my be very good (it's a Kodak product after all) I just can't say yet.
    Just to let you know the seller has 2 listings with one on sale and one at his regular price so be sure to look around. Even at the non sale price, with a 8" x 610' roll you end up with quite a few more (lol) sheets of 8x10 then if you were to buy precut/boxed sheets.

Just have a somewhat cool place to store it because I imagine the roll is too big for my freezer haha.

The paper is somewhat short dated at 8/2010.
    Last edited by brucemuir; 12-31-2009 at 11:29 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin