Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,990   Posts: 1,524,111   Online: 1079

Shooter
    Medium Format

green stain lines on the edges of the roll

I developed 2 rolls in 2 back to back sessions.

first roll was OK, but the second roll come out with grain stians close to edges of the roll.

I use unicolor 3 step system (developer, blix and stabilizer)

I think I forgot to clean something, probably the reel, and stabilizer developer reaction created this.

Am I right or I am doing wrong something else.

Thanks,

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    That sounds likely. A formaldehyde based stabilizer renders the dye couplers inactive, which would lead to areas of strange things happening.
    --Nicholas Andre

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Do you happen to have a 2-roll tank? Or were these 120/220 rolls?

I have found that by using stainless reels and tanks rather than plastic ones, I have less contamination. I have used the same tanks for b/w and color(c-41) at school, just giving them a good scrub with HOT water after to make sure they're totally clean of residual chemistry, especially stabilizer/photo flo.

-Dan

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks for the replies. I guess, that is lack of proper cleaning.
    I will brush the plastic reel and clean it more voigorously.

I use plastic reel. The set up I bought does not have stainless reels, and I do not know whether it supports. I relativley new for JOBO setup.

Is there anything/any chemical that I can use while cleaning to neutralize the stabilizer?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    We have never, ever got any problems with stabilizer residues in reels. We have never brushed them, just normally rinsed with warm water immediately after processing. If you rinsed the reels, I would suspect other possibilities, too. If you didn't rinse them at all then it's a completely different story.......

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Merely rinsing them should have been sufficient.
    --Nicholas Andre

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    uniqua,

I'm just a little weird in that regard, I like my stuff spick and span, if you get my drift .

I use a Jobo tank from time to time as well, stainless tanks usually though. If I shoot a roll of 220, my only option is using a Jobo reel, hence, why I have them.

a thorough rinsing should take care of it though, with warm water, right after your stabilizer step

-Dan

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin